Core Child Support Services
The Santa Clara County Department of Child Support Services exists to provide child support services. Our core services are
- Opening cases
- Locating non-custodial parents
- Establishing paternity
- Establishing Child Support Orders
- Modifying Child Support Orders
- Enforcing Child Support Orders
Attorneys at the Department of Child Support Services represent only the public interest and not either parent. Our actions are guided by federal and state laws and regulations. For this reason the Department is not involved in some child-related issues such as child custody or visitation. We strive to see that the law is followed so as to provide for the best interest of children.
Information given to us by those involved in a support case is confidential. It is protected by law from disclosure except when directly connected with our official functions. Papers filed with the courts, however, are usually open to inspection by the public.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT OUR SERVICES
- DCSS represents the public interest, not the mother, father, or children for whom we provide services.
- For information about getting a lawyer, call the Lawyer Referral Service at 408-971-6822.
- DCSS establishes paternity, child support and medical health insurance orders.
- DCSS enforces and modifies child support orders, but does not enforce child custody or visitation orders. Call the Family Court Clinic at 408-882-2900 and press #7 for custody and visitation information.
$25 Annual Fee
Federal law (Federal Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 Section 454(6)(B)(ii) of the Social Security Act (as amended by FDRA Mandatory Provision 7310) requires states to charge families that have never received Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) a $25 annual application fee if at least $500 is collected annually on their behalf. Beginning October 1, 2011 the annual $25 fee will be assessed for each case in which the family has never received welfare benefits and the custodial party has received $500 or more in support payments during the prior federal fiscal year, (October 1 - September 30). The fee will be collected from the custodial party’s next payment(s), until the $25 is paid in full. The fee will be assessed annually in October on cases meeting these criteria.
Please click this link for questions regarding the $25 Annual Fee
THE INFORMATION ON OUR WEBSITE IS A GENERAL OVERVIEW OF OUR SERVICES AND IS NOT INTENDED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT ANY SPECIFIC CASE OR SITUATION