Navigate Up
Environmental Health Menu +
Home > Hazardous Materials Compliance Division > Hazardous Materials Program

Hazardous Waste Management

Last modified: 3/5/2012 11:54 AM

Hazardous Wastes are used, off-specification, or surplus chemicals which are potentially harmful to human health and/or the environment. Santa Clara County Ordinance Code and state and federal law/regulations require that such wastes be properly managed.


QUICK LINKS (Please click on a subject area)


Within Santa Clara County, Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPA) regulate facilities that generate hazardous waste.  The Hazardous Materials Program within Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health's Hazardous Materials Compliance Division (HMCD) is the CUPA for all areas of the county other than the Cities of GilroySanta Clara, and Sunnyvale, which are themselves CUPAs.

Agency program responsibilities and contact information for each city, town, and unincorporated area in Santa Clara County can be found by clicking here:


If your facility is located anywhere in the county other than in the Cities of Gilroy, Santa Clara, or Sunnyvale, and you engage in the following activities, you must obtain permits from HMCD:

Hazardous Waste Generator Permit

If your facility generates hazardous chemical waste (e.g., used oil, spent solvent) in any quantity, you must obtain and keep current a Hazardous Waste Generator Permit.

To apply for a permit, you may either:

Hazardous Waste Onsite Treatment Permit *

If your facility treats hazardous waste onsite you must obtain and keep current a permit.

To apply for a permit, you must submit the following completed documents:

* Facilities in Mountain View should direct onsite treatment submittals to Mountain View Fire Department rather than HMCD.


If your facility is located anywhere in Santa Clara County other than in the Cities of Gilroy,* Santa Clara,* or Sunnyvale,* and you engage in the following activities, you must notify HMCD:

Hazardous Waste Remote Consolidation Site Notification

If your facility consolidates hazardous waste that is collected from remote, unmanned sites which you also operate, you must submit the following documents annually:

Recycling of Excluded or Exempted Materials Notification

If your facility recycles more than 100 kilograms (220 pounds, or about 27 gallons of liquids) per month of recyclable material under a claim that the material qualifies for an exclusion or exemption from hazardous waste management requirements pursuant to Health and Safety Code Section 25143.2, you must submit the following documents:

* If your facility is located within Gilroy, Santa Clara, or Sunnyvale city limits, submit the notification to the city Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA).


California regulates the disposal of many materials commonly found in businesses [i.e., consumer-type batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9 volt, button-type), fluorescent lamp bulbs/tubes, cathode ray tubes (CRT), electronic devices, thermometers and other mercury-containing products, etc.] as Universal Wastes. HMCD's  Universal Waste Management Requirements document provides details regarding proper management of these materials.

Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Material Handler Notification and Reporting to DTSC

If your facility accepts CRT materials from any offsite source, you must first submit a written notification to the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). If your facility accepts more than five CRT devices (e.g., monitors, TVs) or more than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of CRT glass per calendar year from any offsite source, you must submit an annual report to DTSC no later than February 1 each year. Details on CRT notification and reporting requirements are available here:

Universal Waste Electronic Device (UWED) Receiving Facility Notification and Reporting to DTSC

Any facility that intends to accept UWED from offsite sources must notify the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) by completing and submitting Form DTSC-1382 or providing electronic notification at least 30 days prior to accepting the waste.

Any facility that accepts more than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of UWED from offsite in a calendar year must report that year’s UWED activities to DTSC by February 1 of the following year by submitting a written or electronic report.

The reporting form and electronic notification and report are available at

Large Quantity Handler of Universal Waste: Notification to USEPA


Large Quantity Handlers of Universal Waste must notify the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Regional Administrator prior to exceeding the 5,000 pound Small Quantity Handler accumulation limit by completing and submitting EPA Form 8700-12. The form is available at


HMCD has prepared a Dry Cleaning Facility Requirements guidance document to assist owners/operators of dry cleaning facilities in complying with hazardous waste management requirements for their waste streams.


Under the authority of the Santa Clara County Health Officer, HMCD is the implementing agency for oversight of clandestine drug lab cleanup activities in all areas of Santa Clara County.  A guidance document for use by owners of properties contaminated by clandestine methamphetamine manufacturing activities is available by clicking here.


For information on Hazardous Materials Program fees, click here.


To access this website's links to other agencies and detailed information regarding proper management of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes, click here.


The County of Santa Clara operates a hazardous waste disposal program to assist Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) (i.e., facilities which generate less than 100 kilograms or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month). Information on this program is available here.

Page updated on 7/1/08