Properly disposing of hazardous waste can be costly and inconvenient. However, small business owners in Santa Clara County have a cost effective and environmentally sound option to meet their hazardous waste recycling and disposal needs.
If your business qualifies as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator(CESQG), then you have the opportunity to participate in our program. Some of the more common items we accept in our programs are:
- Mercury containing products such as Fluorescent Lamps, Thermometers, and Button Batteries. Links for quick lamp recycling: AERC, MDS.
- Propane Tanks, Helium Tanks, and Aerosol Cans.
- Automotive Fluids, such as Motor Oil, Lubricants, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze.
- Landscaping Chemicals, such as Pesticides, Herbicides, Fungicides, and Fertilizers.
- Latex and Oil Paint and Paint-Related Materials, such as Stains, Varnishes, Roofing Tar, Adhesives, Joint Compounds, and other Petroleum-Based Products.
- Developer and Fixer.
- Acids, Bases, Oxidizers, and Swimming Pool Chemicals.
- Solvents, Flammable Solids and Liquids, and Detergents.
- Alkaline and Rechargable Batteries.
* NOTE: Our CESQG program does not accept sharps, including hypodermic needles or lancets. For disposal information of these products, please contacnt a medical waste hauler. Stericycle - www.stericycle.com Enserv - www.medserve.com Disclaimer: Links to organizations found at this site are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of
Disclaimer: Links to organizations found at this site are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by the Department of Environmental Health or the County of Santa Clara, and none should be inferred. The Department of Environmental Health is not responsible for the content of the individual organization web pages found at these links.
Step 1: Qualifying
- The location in which the waste is generated must be in Santa Clara County.
- The business must qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator(CESQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5.
According to these codes, you must produce less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
- Non-Profits, Landlords, Apartment Managers, associaitions, and Businesses who have had hazardous waste dumped on their property are considered small businesses, and not are not exempt from disposal fees.
If you are a business who has had hazardous waste dumped on your property, please call the County of Santa Clara's Household Hazardous Waste Program to ask for suggestions pertaining to illegal dumping prevention and tips.
Step 2: Obtain an California E.P.A. I.D. Number
- All participants of the Small Business Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number. Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA) at 1-800-618-6942 to apply for either a Temporary or Permanent Number. In the majority of cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the telephone. However, please exercise patience, you may placed on hold for some time depending on how busy the agency is
Step 3: Inventory Sheet
- Click here to access our Inventory Sheet. Print this document and fill it out completely.Then, please fax this document to County of Santa Clara / Small Business Services at (408)280-6479, or mail it to:
County of Santa Clara Department of Environmental Health
Household Hazardous Waste Program/Small Business Services
1555 Berger Drive, Suite 300
San Jose, CA, 95112
Step 4: Appointment Setup
- Once we receive your inventory sheet, we will produce a price quote and contact you. If you agree to the price and wish to proceed, we will create an account for you. Once your account is created, we can proceed with setting up an appointment. We have hazardous waste collection events for businesses most Wednesdays of the month in San Martin, and every Friday before the 3rd Saturday of the month in Sunnyvale. Once you agree to an appointment, we will fax or mail a map and directions to our facility to your business; a transportation variance allowing you or your employees to transport up to 27 gallons or 220 lbs of hazardous waste, and your copy of the waste manifest will also be attached.
- Please call 408.299.7300 or Email us for further information.
CESQG Downloads and LinksClick here
to view and print the Inventory Sheet.Click here
to view the Inventory Sheet instructions.Click here
for a link to Unidocs.Click here
for a link to Department of Transportation HazMat website.Click here
for the CESQG Operating Schedule.
CESQG Brochure:Click here
to access our CESQG Brochure.