Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System works to prevent the outbreak and spread of infectious diseases, plans and prepares for medical, man-made and natural disasters, and helps those suffering from mental illness or struggling with addiction to rebuild their lives. Your public healthcare system also provides high-quality, specialized treatment for emergency medical care, trauma, burns, and rehabilitation from severe injuries, as well as regular and preventive medical care to residents of this community.
- Registered 27,327 birth and 10,049 death certificates in 2011
- 59,000 people were treated last year in Santa Clara Valley Medical Center’s Emergency Department
- Over 23,000 county residents were connected to needed mental health services last year
- In 2011, Emergency Medical Services monitored more than 95,000 ambulance calls
- Cared for more than 250 premature or sick newborns and infants in the last 6 months
- Provided alcohol and drug treatment services for 7,500 people and reduced or eliminated drug use for about 2,400 of these individuals following treatment
- Responded to 2,069 calls that came in 1 month to the Suicide Prevention Hotline
- Cared for 1,071 people in 2 years with spinal cord injuries, brain injuries and strokes
- Investigated 954 people suspected of either having tuberculosis or coming in contact with someone with tuberculosis, and did follow up with over 4,000 people in 2011
- Last year, 250,000 children and adults were cared for and treated by Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and its community clinics
- Investigated 1,416 cases of illness including outbreaks in schools, restaurants and long-term care facilities last year
The Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System is dedicated to the health and well-being of all communities in Santa Clara County.
Department of Alcohol & Drug Services
The Department of Alcohol & Drug Services embraces research that shows substance abuse disorders are prevalent across all boundaries regardless of age, socio-economic status, gender, and race demographics, and occur along a range of severity from misuse to addiction. DADS provides a comprehensive managed system of care tailored to each person’s needs – from prevention to early intervention to treatment to recovery to recovery monitoring.
Mental Health Department
The Mental Health Department provides a safety net for county residents whose lives have been or are in danger of being affected by a serious mental illness. The department coordinates and administers the community’s mental health resources to ensure that those who are living with a mental illness can get the care they need.
Public Health Department
Keeping the community safe and healthy is a team effort, and it starts with prevention. The Public Health Department works with a number of community organizations to reduce traffic accidents, curb youth violence, advocate for improved nutrition & increased physical activity, and to help people quit smoking. These programs and other work conducted by the department help to save and improve lives.
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center is our community’s health care safety net – in more ways than one. SCVMC provides high-quality, specialized treatment for emergency medical care, trauma, burns, and rehabilitation from severe injuries – in some cases the only such treatment in the region. SCVMC has been accredited by The Joint Commission, which is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting performance standards. In addition, the medical center’s Burn Center, Diabetes Center, Rehabilitation Center, Trauma Center and Stroke Program have received national awards or verifications for providing the best possible care to our patents.