The Mental Health Board is looking at ways to expand how the public communicates mental health needs. We are exploring online approaches, so those people who neither have the time nor the desire to be at a public meeting can still convene an issue or a need. Please click on the “Contact Us” link to submit your inquiry.
The Mental Health Board of the County of Santa Clara is composed of members of the community at large, clients and family members of clients of the mental health system. The board’s mission and duties are established in state: Welfare & Institutions Code 5604.2 and county law (See attached Chapter VII, Sections A18 – 141 and A18 - 142).They include: review and evaluation of the community’s mental health needs, facilities and special problems; advise the Board of Supervisors and the County mental health director as to any aspect of the County mental health program; and, submit an annual report to the Board of Supervisors on the needs and performance of the County’s Mental Health System.
Join the Mental Health Board Mailing List
- Act as a forum for clients, families and other constituents about the needs and quality of services for the mentally ill.
- Work with the director and staff of the Mental Health Department as an advisor to provide input for planning programs and budgets prior to final decisions.
- Provide to the Board of Supervisors an annual report of the Department of Mental Health. Communicate to the Board of Supervisors as necessary in an on-going dialogue.
- Make specific recommendations to assist the Board of Supervisors in making decisions concerning mental health services.
- Collect, review, and evaluate information about delivery of care for the mentally ill provided by the Mental Health Department in order to understand and evaluate services to clients that promote recovery, maintenance and return to the community.
- Promote outreach and education about mental health services.
- As informed stakeholders, communicate pertinent information leading to desired public policy outcomes at local, state and federal levels.
- Gain an understanding of the etiology, diagnosis, treatment and advancements in the field of mental health.
- Recognize people and organizations that have contributed to mental health.
Full Mental Health Board meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 12:00 noon at Downtown Mental Health Center. 1075 East Santa Clara Street, Second Floor; San Jose, CA 95116.
¶ 2014 SCC Mental Health Board and Subcommittees Meeting Schedule
Member Roster (CONTACT US)
Board Chair: Carla Holtzclaw
1st ViceChair: Larry Blitz
2nd Vice Chair: Oswald Patricio E. Gutierrez
Board of Supervisors Representative: Supervisor Cindy Chavez
Members: Laura Barreras, Larry Blitz, Oswald P. E. Gutierrez, Robert Gill, Carla Holtzclaw, Jen Hong, David Mariant, Hilbert Morales, Henry Morillo, Victor Ojakian, Charles Pontious, Gail A. Price, Mercedes Salem, David Speicher, and Rev. Evelyn Vigil
Llolanda Ulloa, MHB Support: 828 South. Bascom Avenue Suite 280 San Jose, CA. 95128 Direct Line: (408)793-5677 MHB Line: (408)885-5779 Fax: (408)885-5788