NOTICE: The Housing Rehab Loan and Grant Programs are not currently accepting applications at this time.
Please check back in May.
The County Housing Rehabilitation Program (the "Program")
offers financial assistance to low-income property owners to make a
wide range of repairs or improvements to their homes that address code
deficiencies, health and safety issues, increase energy efficiency, or
make universal access (disability) modifications. The program serves as a
vital tool in preserving affordable housing stock.
To be eligible you must own and occupy your home as your
primary residence. Have an annual household gross income that does not
exceed 80% of the Santa Clara County Area Median Income (AMI), adjusted
for household size and meet asset restrictions. Please refer to the Housing Rehab Program Guidelines for detailed eligibility requirements and asset restrictions. Maximum Income Limits.
Eligible Property Locations
- Unincorporated Areas of the County
- Los Altos
- Los Altos Hills
- Los Gatos
- Morgan Hill, and
Loan and Program Terms
- The maximum loan amount is $100,000.
- Final loan amount will be the actual cost of repairs or improvements.
- Maximum loan to value cannot exceed 80% of the value of the property (total of all liens on the property).
- Annual interest rate is 3%.
- The maximum term for the Program loan is 30 years.
- Property must have been owned by the applicant for a minimum of one year prior to application.
- Repairs and improvements will be prioritized by the County based on code deficiencies and health and safety issues.
- Certain improvements may be ineligible or beyond the scope of this loan; this decision is determined by County staff.
- Program is subject to change without notification.
- The County's loan must be paid in full upon sale of the
property, property transfer, refinance or at loan term, whichever one
- Loan payments may be deferred based on the applicant’s income, housing expenses and loan amount
- Loans are made at the discretion of the County Housing Loan Committee
The borrower will be required to execute a Promissory Note,
Deed of Trust, and Owner Participation Agreement/Contract. The loan will
be recorded as a lien against the real property and will be due upon
maturity of loan, sale, re-finance, or transfer of the property.
Examples of Eligible Repairs
- Roof repair or replacement
- Furnace and water heater repair or replacement,
- Plumbing upgrades
- Electrical upgrades
- Window replacement
- Interior and exterior painting
- Disabled accessibility
- Weatherization and energy efficiency upgrades
- Bathroom and/or kitchen improvements
- Termite repairs/tenting
- Debris removal
- Other emergency repairs as authorized by the Housing Rehabilitation staff
Examples of Ineligible Repairs
Pools, spas, hot tubs, outdoor cooking facilities, storage sheds, patio covers, furniture and
- Complete and submit the Housing Rehabilitation Application to the Office of Affordable Housing.
- If applicant passes the preliminary eligibility requirements, the
Housing Rehabilitation Specialist will conduct a site visit. The site
visit allows the Program staff to determine a scope of work, access the
needs of the applicant, and set a realistic loan amount needed to
complete the scope of work. If the Specialist determines the loan amount
is adequate to resolve all repairs the Specialist will recommend the
application to the County Housing Loan Committee for consideration.
- Application is brought to the County Housing Loan Committee for consideration.
- If approved, a Scope of Work is created, a qualified General
Contractor is selected and progress begins. Click the link below for a
list of active pre-qualified contractors:
To check on a Contractor's Licence visit the Contactor State Licensing Board.
Loan Terms for Single-Family Residences
- Amortized Loan - A 30 year loan, amortized at 3% interest with monthly payments.
- Deferred Loan - A 30 year loan, deferred at 3% simple
interest, due upon sale, transfer of ownership, or ceases to be primary
For an Application Contact: