At budget workshops beginning Tuesday, the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors will review proposed budget recommendations for Fiscal Year 2011. County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith is recommending that the Board adopt a budget that addresses the County’s $223.2 million General Fund deficit. FY 2011 is the 9th year for which the County has had to balance a projected deficit.
The County Executive is recommending a total County budget of $4.2 billion, of which the General Fund share is $2.2 billion. The $223.2 million deficit applies to the General Fund, which supports services which do not have fully dedicated funding, such as the Sheriff, District Attorney, jails, hospitals and clinics, mental health, and public health to name a few. Funds for operations such as Parks and Roads and Airports are not included in the General Fund.
Recommended reductions do not include reductions which may be required once the FY 2011 State budget is approved sometime in the summer.
May 18, May 19, and May 20, 2010
Board Chambers, County Government Center, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors
County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith
BUDGET WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 1:30 p.m.
• Budget Overview
• Children, Seniors and Families: Department of Child Support Services, In Home Supportive Services
• Health and Hospital: Children’s Shelter and Custody Health Services, Alcohol and Drug Services, Community Health Services,
Valley Health Plan, Public Health and Mental Health.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 6:30 p.m.
• Children, Seniors and Families, continued: Social Services Agency
• Health and Hospital, continued: Valley Medical Center
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 1:30 p.m.
• Finance and Government Operations: Special Programs and Reserves, Contingencies, Board of Supervisors, Clerk of the Board,
County Executive’s Office and LAFCO/ Affordable Housing, Assessor, Procurement, County Counsel, Registrar of Voters,
Information Services Department, Three Year Technology Plan, County Communications, Facilities and Fleet, Capital Programs,
County Library, Employee Services Agency, and Finance Agency.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 1:30 p.m.
• Public Safety and Justice: Office of the District Attorney, Office of the Sheriff, Medical Examiner-Coroner, Office of the Public Defender,
Office of Pretrial Services, Department of Correction, Probation Department, and Criminal Justice System-wide Costs.
• Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation: Measure B, Planning and Development, Agriculture and Environmental Management,
Department of Environmental Health and Vector Control District, Parks and Recreation, and Roads and Airports Department.
Budget hearing meetings to make final decisions on the FY 2011 Budget will take place June 14, 15, 16 and 18, 2010.
County Executive’s FY 2011 Recommended Budget is located at www.sccgov.org under Hot Items
Media Contact: Gwendolyn Mitchell/Laurel Anderson, Office of Public Affairs, (408) 299-5119
Posted: May 14, 2010