At budget workshops beginning Tuesday, the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors will review the County Executive’s Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2013, which begins in July. After 10 years of budget deficits, County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith is recommending that the Board adopt a maintenance budget of $4.1 billion, of which the General Fund share is $2.2 billion.
The County Executive is able to make this recommendation because of the willingness of employees, labor and management to work together to find ongoing solutions to the County’s recurring structural deficit. Labor organizations agreed to $75 million in concessions in an effort to help create a sustainable County, based on the new economic reality.
There are still many threats on the horizon, including rising retirement costs, instability at the State and Federal levels, and a health care landscape that is creating significant challenges for Valley Medical Center. Any of these threats could impact the County if they are not resolved in a way that avoids harsh outcomes for local government.
Recommended reductions do not include reductions which may be required once the FY 2013 State budget is approved sometime in the summer, or cuts triggered at the Federal Level by provisions of the Budget Control Act, that result in automatic budget cuts.
May 15, May 16, and May 17, 2012
Board Chambers, County Government Center, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors
County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith
BUDGET WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Board of Supervisors Budget Workshops
Board Chambers, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 – 1:30 p.m.
· Budget Overview
· Overview of funding status of County Retiree Medical Benefit Program
· Children, Seniors and Families – Part 1: Department of Child Support Services, In Home Supportive Services
· Health and Hospital – Part 1: Custody Health Services, Drug and Alcohol Services, Community Health Services, Valley Health Plan, Public Health, Mental Health
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 6:30 p.m.
· Children, Seniors and Families – Part 2: Social Services Agency
· Health and Hospital – Part 2: Valley Medical Center
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 1:30 p.m.
· Finance and Government Operations: Special Programs and Reserves, Center for Leadership and Transformation, Contingencies, Board of Supervisors, Clerk of the Board, County Executive’s Office and LAFCO, Assessor, Procurement, County Counsel, Registrar of Voters, Information Services Department, County Communications, Facilities and Fleet, Capital Programs, County Library, Employee Services Agency, Finance Agency
Thursday, May 17, 2012- 1:30 p.m.
· Public Safety and Justice: Office of the District Attorney, Office of the Public Defender, Office of Pretrial Services, Criminal Justice System-wide Costs, Office of the Sheriff, Medical Examiner-Coroner, Department of Correction, Probation Department
· Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation: Planning and Development, Agriculture and Environmental Management, Environmental Health Department, Vector Control District, Parks and Recreation, and Roads and Airports Department, County Fire Department, Los Altos Hills Fire District, South Santa Clara County Fire District.
Budget hearing meetings to make final decisions on the FY 2013 Budget will take place June 11-15, 2012.
County Executive’s FY 2013 Recommended Budget is located at www.sccgov.org under Hot Items
# # #