SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CALIF - You’ve seen them being used by members of our armed forces and now patients of the Rehabilitation Center at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center are piloting this new technology in clinical trials.
On Wednesday, May 25th from 9:30 am to 10:30 am, a demonstration took place on how this innovative technology – eLEGS, a wearable robot, can be used by patients at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center with paralysis or weakness in the lower extremities. This artificially intelligent, bionic, battery-powered and ready-to-wear device allows wheelchair users to get up, stand and walk again.
The Rehabilitation Center at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center treats more than 550 patients every year, helping them develop the skills they need to get closer to independence. Outcomes for patients of the Rehabilitation Center at SCVMC far exceed the national average.
“Until eLEGS, temporary-walking devices have been large, electrical, stationary, and extremely expensive,” commented Stephanie Kolkowsky-Hayner, PhD, Director of Rehabilitation Research at SCVMC. “Everyday we see people who would benefit from this advanced technology. Now we have the opportunity to test and use this device, which could eventually change the lives of millions of people using wheelchairs. We are extremely proud to be part of this trial.”
Berkeley Bionics, based in Berkeley, CA develops and manufactures powered and artificially intelligent human exoskeletons for military, civilian and medical uses that augment strength, endurance, and mobility.
Note: Stephanie Sablan, age 24 years, is the SCVMC patient in the eLEGS trial. Shonna Moran is the SCVMC physical therapist and Darrell Musick is the clinical manager with Berkeley Bionics who worked with Stephanie today.
List of 10 Hospitals Participating in Trials with Berkeley Bionics
- SCVMC in San Jose, CA is as public, not-for-profit hospital
- Craig Hospital in Englewood, CO is non-profit, independent hospital
- Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington, IL is a private hospital
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, NJ is a private hospital
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, NY is a teaching hospital
- Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific in Honolulu, HI is an independent, not-for-profit hospital
- Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan in Detroit, MI is private rehabilitation hospital
- Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA is a private, not-for-profit hospital
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston, MA is a private hospital
- TIRR Memorial Hermann in Houston, TX is a teaching hospital
Media Contact: Joy Alexiou, Public Information Officer, Health and Hospital System: 408-377-9419, or 408-885-4164. E-mail: email@example.com
Posted: May 25, 2011