Santa Clara County, CA. --A hot weekend is upon us in the Bay Area, and temperatures are expected to remain high through early next week. The Santa Clara County Public Health Department encourages everyone to follow these tips to stay healthy during extremely hot weather:
- Drink plenty of liquids. Drink water and low-sugar sports drinks, even if you don’t feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar because they make you lose fluids.
- Limit physical activity. Avoid physical activity during the hottest time of the day—10am-3pm.
- NEVER leave people or pets in a closed, parked car.
- Stay in air-conditioned areas. Help keep cool by spending time at malls, libraries, movie theatres and community centers.
- Cool off by taking a bath or shower. Cool, plain water baths or moist towels work best. Do not cool children in alcohol baths.
- Wear cool clothing. Lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing can help you keep cool. Cotton clothes are good because they let sweat evaporate.
- Do not bundle babies. Babies do not handle heat well because their sweat glands are not fully developed. Do not put them in blankets or heavy clothing.
- Cover your head. Wear a wide-brimmed, vented hat or use an umbrella when outdoors because your head absorbs heat easily.
- Wear sunglasses and sunscreen. Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher when outdoors.
- Rest often in shady areas. Find shady places to cool down when outdoors.
- Check on frail or elderly family, friends, or neighbors often.
Posted: June 28, 2013