Santa Clara County is part of the ABAG (Association of Bay Area Governments) Initiative for a regional Green Business Program. The Bay Area Green Business Program verifies that businesses meet resource conservation standards and enhanced environmental performance. General practices of Green Businesses include:
- Tracking water and energy usage and solid and hazardous waste generation
- Adopting a written environmentally preferable (or green) purchasing policy
- Establishing a 'green team' that can help guide efforts to green your business
- Continuing management and staff training protocols, and opportunities for employee participation
- Sharing green business efforts with customers; and
- Communicating green practices to other businesses, with encouragement to enroll in the Program
Santa Clara County recognizes that green businesses employ standards that set them apart through increased competitiveness, operational efficiency, and employee health, productivity and morale.