Women and Girls 2010 Summit: Thriving in the New Economy
December 2- 4, 2010 San Jose, CA
A new economy is emerging in the U.S. today, often referred to as a “Green Economy”. As Silicon Valley continues to lead the way in innovation, technology and economic opportunity in this new era, billions of dollars in funding to stimulate the economy, promote clean energy and reduced carbon emissions, and job creation are flowing into this region. How will women and girls benefit from these investments? Will these resources provide new opportunities for women’s business and career advancement or will it be “business as usual” where discrimination, disparity and inequity continue to plague women and girls?
Despite persistent challenges for women in the workplace and the worst economy in decades, women remain a vital force driving the global economy. Research shows that when we invest in education and training for women and girls, we not only see direct, measurable benefit to society, benefits are seen for future generations. We have a unique opportunity to ensure that the emerging economy in Silicon Valley will provide advancement and greater economic security for all women and we are inviting 300 Silicon Valley leaders to join us!
What is the Purpose of the Women and Girls 2010 Summit?
We will bring together 300 women and men who are policy makers, business and community leaders and advocates who recognize that improving the status of women is fundamental to sustainable economic development and who will take action to ensure true equality and opportunity for women and girls in the new economy.
We seek to take action to ensure that women and girls in Santa Clara County:
- Have access to education, training and opportunity for career advancement in the “New Economy”, including green jobs and business
- Work in places that are healthy, safe and free of discrimination and bias
- Ensure sustainable community development and promote self-sufficient families by establishing a common agenda for the economic advancement of women and girls in Santa Clara County
- Are honored, valued and celebrated for their abilities, talents and contributions to building a peaceful, prosperous communities
This high-energy, interactive summit will provide an opportunity for dialogue and action planning to ensure that local efforts to create a safe and healthy community and sustainable economy address the needs of women and girls. We seek to achieve the following objectives:
- Examine the economic impact and status of women and girls
- Provide information on the “New Economy” which has emerged as a green economy
- Identify local challenges and opportunities for the economic advancement of women and girls and engage in dialogue about what action is needed.
- Secure a commitment from participants in a Call to Action and follow-up activities in key areas that impact women’s ability to compete and thrive in today’s economy:
- Education (Promoting Women and Girls in Math, Science, Technology, and Sports)
- Violence Against Women
- Provide an opportunity on Day 3 to convene 200 young women in leadership and social change training through the arts and creative expression.