Early Public Notification and Outreach
Planning Staff is currently developing new policies that would require early public notification and additional outreach for certain types of private development projects in unincorporated Santa Clara County.
- The objectives of these policies are to:
Increase notification and outreach requirements for private development projects that are of likely to be more controversial and garner public interest from neighbors and the community.
- Require notification and outreach to occur earlier within the Planning process to allow neighbors and the community to provide input to the project applicant and planning staff.
- Use additional types of notification requirements such as on-site signs or use of electronic media to notify neighbors and the community of proposed private development projects.
Staff will present the policy to the Planning Commission on November 21, 2013 and to the Board of Supervisors on December 10, 2013 (tentative).
At the October 17, 2013 Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation Committee of the Board, staff presented the following:
At the May 16, 2013 Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation Committee of the Board, staff presented the initial proposal for expanding the County’s early public notification and outreach requirements for private development projects. Materials from this presentation are below
Community Outreach for the Project
During the months of August and September, 2013, Planning Staff will conduct several outreach meetings to collect input from stakeholders on how best to achieve the objectives of the public notification and outreach project. This will include meetings with applicants, the Planning Commission, and two community meetings. The outreach is scheduled for the following dates:
- Wednesday, August 14 – Applicant’s Roundtable
- Wednesday, August 21 – San Martin Planning Advisory Committee - Workshop
- Wednesday, August 22 – Planning Commission Workshop
- Monday, August 26th – Community Meeting at Los Altos Library Presentation Room
- 6:30-8:30 PM; 13 S. San Antonio Road
- Thursday, September 5th – Community Meeting at Morgan Hill Community Center El Toro Room
- 6:30-8:30 PM; 17000 Monterey St
We encourage members of the public to attend the two community meetings above to provide input and contribute ideas and feedback on the project. Members of the public are also welcome to attend the San Martin Planning Advisory Committee and Planning Commission workshops.
How else to get involved:
For more information regarding the project, or to sign up be included on a mailing list for the project, or to provide additional feedback, please contact Rob Salisbury at (408)299-5785.