Are you looking for ways to reduce energy consumption, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and save money on your energy bills in the long run? Solar thermal and solar electric energy generation are becoming an increasingly popular and viable way to do all this and more.
Solar power is an important part of the Santa Clara County Climate Change & Sustainability Program. We are committed to using renewable energy at County facilities and encourage homeowners, business owners and other entities with the unincorporated areas of the county to do the same.
Use the links below to get more information about the kind and size of system is appropriate for your building, rebates and incentives, suppliers, contractors and much more.
Residential Solar System Installation Checklist
County Program for Commercial Solar Facilities
In November 2010, the Board of Supervisors approved an update to the County's Zoning Ordinance to specifically address Commercial Solar Systems.
- Download the ordinance provisions here.
- Download the associated environmental Initial Study here.
- Download staff's white paper on Solar Power in Santa Clara County here.
For more information contact Rob Eastwood.
- Solar map showing solar potential in different areas of Santa Clara County (click here).
- Mapping of land use factors for commercial solar (click here)
- Text description of land use factors maps (click here)
Note: The solar insolation (kWh/m2/day) values on these maps is somewhat different from values shown on maps available though the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and other sources. The Planning Office calculated the values shown on these maps by factoring in terrain and southern exposure.
Resources & Links
Financing, Rebates & Incentives