A Legal Document Assistant is defined as any person who provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing themselves in a legal matter, or who holds themselves out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This shall not apply to any individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
To register as a Legal Document Assistant in Santa Clara County, please complete and provide the following: (if renewing, see additional information below):
- A completed registration form (application)
- A legal document assistant bond. The bond must show date of issuance and date of expiration
- Two passport pictures for mandatory photo ID (If Corporation, no photo required)
- Valid California Driver License
- SECONDARY COUNTY REGISTRATION: An application for secondary registration shall meet all of the above requirements except that in place of filing another original bond or cash deposit, a copy of the bond or cash deposit, certified by the primary county of registration, shall be submitted. THE TERM OF REGISTRATION WITH THE SECONDARY COUNTY SHALL BE THE REMAINING BALANCE OF THE TWO-YEAR TERM OF COVERAGE OF THE PRIMARY-COUNTY BOND.
- Filing fees:
|Filing fee (base) for registration as Legal Document Assistant:
|Primary or Secondary County (based on one-page bond)
|Each additional bond page (if any):
|( A cover page if needed, counts as a page and is charged as an additional page.)
|Additional Identification card:
|Additional Bond Filing due to increase in number of assistants:
(Corporations / Partnerships / Other Entities)
|Recording Fee - first page
|Real Estate Fraud Fee Per Instrument (Govt. Code 27388)
|Recording Fee - each additional bond page ( if any)
( A cover page, if needed, counts as a page and is charged as an additional page.)
The Legal Document Assistant registration is effective for a period of two years, or the bond expiration date, whichever occurs first. The renewal can take place up to 60 days prior to the expiration date; the effective date of the renewal will be the date your current registration expires. As long as the renewal occurs on or up to 60 days before the expiration date, your registration number will remain the same. THE ABOVE-LISTED REQUIREMENTS (INCLUDING FEES) STILL APPLY WHEN RENEWING.
If the county clerk finds that the applicant has failed to demonstrate having met the requisite requirements, the county clerk, within three business days of submission of the application and fee, shall return the application and fee to the applicant with a notice to the applicant indicating the reason for the denial and the method of appeal.
Please allow at least 45 minutes to process your registration. Filings are accepted only until 4:00 p.m.