December 21, 2012
(Sunnyvale, CA) - Calling all fire, police, EMS, legal and communication professionals: mark your calendars for the upcoming Social Media the Internet and Law Enforcement (SMILE) Conference. The event will take place at the Juniper Networks’ Aspiration Dome in Sunnyvale, California, from February 5 - 7, 2013.
The SMILE Conference is devoted to social media, Internet and law enforcement initiatives, and will be hosted by the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety, in partnership with LAwS Communications.
This three-day event will examine issues on the adoption of social media by law enforcement agencies across the world. Topics will cover social media strategies, reputation management, policy and community outreach, information sharing, homeland security, crime prevention and forensics. For the first time, the SMILE Conference will also welcome fire and emergency medical services professionals.
The agenda includes presentations on:
- The Ethical Use of Technology for Law Enforcement
- Social Media Is About Building Human Relationships
- Legal Panel Discussion
- Employee Cell Phone Use and Preservation – Unintended Consequences
- Research Study: How Police Forces Benefit from Adapting Social Media
- Partnering with Social Networks
- Cyber Bullying and Digital Media Issues
- G20, a Social Media Investigation Case Study
To date, the speaker lineup includes:
- Chief Inspector Kerry Blakeman, West Midlands Police
- Chief-Inspector Elle de Jonge, Dutch Police
- Deputy Chief Erika Shields, Atlanta Police Department
- Captain Rich Lucero, Fremont Police Department
- Officer Holly Lawrence, Sunnyvale Public Safety
- Lieutenant Tracy Hern, Sunnyvale Public Safety
- Chief Frank Grgurina, Sunnyvale Public Safety
- Sergeant Nathan Steele, West Sacramento Police Department
- Jean Turner-Floyd, Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Jeff Bangild, Toronto Police
- Tam Bui, Toronto Police Service
Captain Richard Lucero, Fremont Police
Nancy O’Malley, Alameda County District Attorney
Rocky Lucia Esq;
Curtis Sherwood Esq, City of Honolulu
Sebastian Denef Phd, Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (Germany)
Elle de Jong (Netherlands)
Another highlight of the event includes a casual, open-agenda "Town Hall Meeting," as a social mixer for networking professionals and to invite discussions with industry experts. The Town Hall Meeting will feature cocktails and h’ors deuvres.
For more information regarding the agenda, hotel, registration and venue, please visit:
For all general inquiries, speaker inquiries, vendor and sponsor sales, please contact Lauri Stevens, at firstname.lastname@example.org
LAwS Communications at (978) 764 – 9887.
Download event flyer