Both State and Federal laws require employers to provide a reasonable amount of break time and a private location to express breast milk.
The NEW Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System Lactation Accommodation Policy is based on the Laws and Policies which protect a woman's choice to provide breast milk to her child by ensuring her right to express milk during her breaks. It also protects her from discrimination from other staff.
Sections 1030-1033 of the California Labor Code and Section 4702 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act require employers to provide a reasonable amount of break time and private location to express breast milk. Unfortunately, many employees are not aware of the laws, and some are afraid to ask for this accommodation.
The Santa Clara County Public Health Department supports efforts that encourage breastfeeding at the workplace, as it provides benefits for mothers, children, families, and society. Children who are breastfed are less likely to develop acute ear infections, asthma, diabetes and obesity. Reduced risk of diabetes and breast and ovarian cancer are some of the mother's health benefits. Breastfeeding also provides benefits for businesses, including lower health care costs, reduced absenteeism, higher productivity and lower turnover rates.
Worksite Lactation Acommodation Resources
Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employer Program
The Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employer Program recognizes employers that are committed to supporting and encouraging breastfeeding. In order to become designated as a Mother Friendly Employer, an organization must meet, and have a written lactation accommodation policy that addresses, the minimum requirements of the program. A policy template is available to help organizations develop strong lactation accommodation policies that meet the requirements of the program.
To become designated as a Mother Friendly Employer, fill out the program application.
Mother Friendly Employers will receive the following:
- Certificate indicating Mother Friendly Employer designation
- Listed on-line as a Mother Friendly Employer
- Santa Clara County Public Health Department website
- Breastfeeding Task Force of Santa Clara County Facebook page
- Recognition at the Breastfeeding Task Force of Santa Clara Valley Breastfeeding Month Celebration in August
New! Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employers
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers
- Discovery Counseling Center
- George Chaila Farms Inc.
- Gilroy Foundation
- Go Kids, Inc.
- Learning and Loving Education Center
- NEW SV Media Inc.
- Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System
- St. Joseph's Family Center
- St. Louise Regional Hospital
- Syngenta Flowers
- The Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce
1400 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 120 B
San Jose, CA 95126
Phone: (408) 793-2700
Fax: (408) 793-2731