Updated January 1, 2013
To avoid a notary fee, you can come to our office and fill out an application for a birth or death certificate. If the birth or death certificate is registered you may be able to obtain the certificate within the same day. If the birth or death record is not available you have the option of leaving payment and we will process it as soon as it is available.
Follow the steps below:
1. Bring cash, check, or money order to cover your total purchase (credit or debit cards are not accepted).
2. Bring valid identification.
3. (Optional) Come prepared by filling out the In-person application now. Download and print the application in your language of choice. Just remember not to sign the sworn statement until you are in the presence of Vital Records staff.
To obtain a birth or death certificate through the mail within
1-2 weeks, follow the steps below:
1. Fill out an application for a birth or death record. Download and print the application in your language of choice.
2. Notarize the sworn statement with a certificate of acknowledgement in the presence of a Notary Public (page 2 of the application). Just remember not to sign the sworn statement until you are in the presence of a Notary Public.
3. Send in the application, sworn statement/certificate of acknowledgement, and payment to: Vital Records Office 976 Lenzen Avenue, Suite 1300, San Jose, CA 95126.
|Birth Certificate or Search
|Death Certificate or Search
|Death Certificate--Veteran's Copy (1)
|Still Birth Certificate (what is this?)
|Fetal Death Certificate