This patch was worn from the 1940's until 1950. Before that, no known patch was worn by Department members. The patch is a half moon, with a straight edge bottom. The border is gold, with "SANTA CLARA COUNTY" in gold along the curve. The word "SHERIFFS OFFICE" is along the straight edge bottom in gold. The background along the curve is blue embroidery and the area along the bottom is black twill.