How Do I Apply?
24-Hr Automated InfoLine:
Applying for Food Stamps
Documents You Will Need to Bring When You Apply
Your Eligibility Worker will tell you exactly which documents you need to provide. The documents will be used to see if you are eligible for Food Stamp benefits and to figure out the amount/value of Food Stamp benefits you will get. T he following list contains examples of the kind of documents you may need to give your Eligibility Worker.
- Any documentation that reasonably shows identity such as a Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a Passport, a Birth Certificate, and/or a Work or School ID Card.
Proof of Residence
- Rent receipts
- Utility bill
- DMV Identification Card or Driver’s License
Proof of Age
- Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, or DMV ID Card
Social Security Number (SSN) for Each Household Member
- Social Security Card or number or proof of application for Social Security Card.
Proof of Immigration Status
- Green card or Alien Registration Card
Proof of Property
- Bank statements (checking and/or savings accounts)
- Car registration(s)
- Papers that show value of property
Proof of Income
- Check stubs
- Papers that show where the money came from
Proof of Shelter Costs/Expenses
- Housing bills, Rent receipt
- Utility bill
- Shared Housing Forms
Proof of Disability
- Award Letter
- Letter from doctor listing disability and how long disability will last.
- Other proof
Proof of Child Support Payments
- Court Order
- Cancelled Checks
- Money Order Receipts
- Wage Withholding Statement
If you are NOT eligible for cash assistance from other State and/or Federal programs, you may be eligible for a cash loan through the General Assistance Program