Navigate Up
Social Services Agency
Menu +
Home > Department of Employment & Benefit Services > Health Coverage (Medi-Cal & more...) > Confidential Youth Medical Services

Health Coverage: Confidential Youth Medical Services

Last modified: 5/21/2012 3:32 PM

Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program

24-Hr Automated InfoLine: 
1-877-96-BENEFITS  or 1-877-962-3633
Confidential medical services are available to minors under 21 years of age through the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program. Confidential medical services, regardless of citizenship or immigration status, are offered for the following:
  • Sexual assault
  • Pregnancy or family planning
  • Sexually-transmitted diseases
  • Drug or alcohol abuse
  • Outpatient mental health 
The eligibility information listed below will give you an idea of whether you may be eligible to receive Medi-Cal coverage under the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program. However, eligibility for Medi-Cal can only be fully evaluated by an Eligibility Worker at one of the Social Services Agency Intake Offices. If and when you decide to apply, your Eligibility Worker will explain in further detail what requirements specifically apply to your situation.
Basic Eligibility Requirements

Persons applying for the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program must:

  • Be under 21 years of age,
  • Be living with parents, and
  • In pregnancy cases, have income under the 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (See Income Limits Chart below)


Income Limits Chart
(Effective 4/1/12 to 3/31/13)
Number of Persons 200% of Federal Poverty Level

(Pregnant woman & the unborn)
$ 2,522
3   3,182
4   3,842
5  4,502
6  5,162
7  5,822
8  6,482
9   7,142
10  7,802
For each additional person add:    660
1) Property and income of parents is not counted.
2) Use of (or information on) other health insurance available from any source is not required.
3) Parents’ consent is not required and they are not notified of their children’s participation in the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program.
Applying for the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program 
Persons who would like to apply for the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program must go in person to one of the Social Services Agency Intake Offices.

You may also call and ask to speak with the Information Supervisor. The Information Supervisor will answer any questions you may have about the Medi-Cal Minor Consent Program.
Documents You Will Need to Bring When You Apply
Applicants for the Minor Consent Program DO NOT have to provide the same level of verification or proof as an applicant for other Medi-Cal programs. Applicants are NOT REQUIRED to provide proof of identity, Social Security Number, immigration status, or residence. However, proof of property and income are required.
The following list contains examples of some of the most common items you may need to provide so that your Eligibility Worker can see if you are eligible for Medi-Cal benefits.
   Proof of Property 
  • Bank statements (checking and/or savings accounts) 
  • Car registrations

   Proof of Income 

  • Pay stub 
  • Employer’s documents 
  • Other papers that provide proof of monthly income (e.g., Social Security Award Letter, Unemployment check stub, and/or Disability check stub)