Licensing Requirements for Foster/Resource Families - Foster Parent Recruitment
Last modified: 3/9/2012 10:55 AM
- Have the ability to love, understand, care for and accept a child to whom they did not give birth.
- Be in good physical or mental health to ensure that you can meet the needs of children coming into your home. (A physical exam is required).
- Have sufficient income to meet current expenses.
- Have be resident of Santa Clara County.
- May be married, single, separated or divorced.
- Applicant(s) must complete 27 hour of PRIDE training.
- Attend training to learn how to meet the needs of children in care and how to best work with the child’s family.
- Applicant(s) must be certified in child oriented CPR and First aid training.
- Applicant(s) (Single, two-parent, same gender families of all ethnicities) must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must complete application packet which includes references, health screening and verification of control of property, i.e. grant deed or rental/ lease agreement.
- Be willing to submit to a background check (each adult in the home)
- TB clearances are required for all adults 18 years and over residing in the home.
Home Safety Inspection
- Home must have adequate bedroom space to accommodate all family members, including foster children. All furniture must be safe and in good repair.
- Home must have functioning smoke detectors.
- Poisons, firearms and other dangerous weapons must be locked.
- Working telephone required.
- Home and Yard must be clean, safe, sanitary and in good repair.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, ponds, or any other bodies of water must be secured according to State of California Foster Family Home licensing regulations.
- Medicines must be inaccessible to children at all times.
- Cleaners, toxics and other hazardous items are inaccessible to children.
- Home remodels, additions and conversions, i.e., garages, must have appropriate city permits.