The Santa Clara County Vector Control District (the “District”) was formed in 1988 and is one of 12 special districts located in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. These special districts are charged with providing mosquito and general vector control pursuant to California Health and Safety and California Government Codes. The District is one of six special districts in the State wherein the County Board of Supervisors acts as Trustee and funding is through a special property tax assessment.
Santa Clara County is home to many animals and insects, capable of causing not only discomfort to its residents, but also illness or injury. The District offers a variety of services and information to help residents protect themselves and their families from these animals and insects of medical importance (vectors).
These services include:
- Detection of the presence/prevalence of vector borne diseases, such as Plague, West Nile Virus, rabies, & Lyme disease, through ongoing surveillance and testing
- Routine inspections, and treatment as necessary, of known mosquito and rodent sources
- Response to customer initiated service requests for identification, advise, and/or control measures for mosquitoes, rodents, wildlife, and miscellaneous invertebrates (ticks, yellowjackets, cockroaches, bees, fleas, flies, etc.)
- Free educational presentations for schools, homeowners associations, private businesses, civic groups and other interested groups
- Free informational material on all vectors and vector borne diseases
Property owners and residents can electronically request or call the District for a free home and yard consultation for rodent, wildlife and mosquito problems. Service technicians usually respond within 2-3 business days of receiving a request for service.
District staff includes: District Manager, Assistant Manager, Scientific Technical Services Manager, Vector Ecologist, Field Supervisors, Public Outreach Specialists, Special Projects Technicians, Shop Foreman, Wildlife Technicians, Field Technicians and Front Office personnel.
Leave us a message
Directions to our Office