Navigate Up
Menu +

Found a Pet?


  • If you find a lost pet, please file a “Found Pet” report with the Santa Clara County local animal shelters, click here for the list of shelters.
  • Fill out and print a "Found Pet" flyer
    • Found Pet flyers can be mailed, faxed, or emailed. See below!
  • If the animal was found in Gilroy or the unincorporated area of Santa Clara County, you may bring the animal to the County of Santa Clara Animal Shelter.  There are no fees associated with this service. If you are unable to transport the animal, please call Animal Control Field Services at (408) 201-0660.  Please have available any information from the animal’s tags, if applicable, so this information can be provided to Animal Control Field Services.  This information may assist us in locating the owner. 
  • If the animal was found within the unincorporated area of Santa Clara County and you wish to house the animal at your home until the owner is located, contact Santa Clara County Animal Control Field Services at (408) 201-0660.  Please note the following:


    • ​If the animal is wearing any tags with phone numbers, please call the numbers in an attempt to identify and notify the owner.
  • Post “Found Pet” flyers in the neighborhood or area where the animal was found.  Flyers can also be posted online and an ad can be placed in the local newspaper.
  • Have the animal scanned for a microchip.  Many veterinarians, pet stores and animal shelters have microchip scanners to assist with this process.
  • When you contact Animal Control to report the found animal, you will be asked to contact us again after five days to report if an owner has been identified.  If an owner has not been identified, you can choose to bring the animal to the Santa Clara County Animal Shelter or license the animal yourself to continue to house it.  Please note that even in this case, if the original owner resurfaces at any time, that person may have legal rights to reclaim the animal.
  • Temporarily housing a stray animal is extremely helpful.  Many lost animals are frightened and prone to run into traffic.  They need your help to ensure they are safe and to help them return  home.

County of Santa Clara 
Animal Shelter
12370 Murphy Avenue
San Martin , CA 95046
(408) 686-3900
Fax: (408) 683-2776

Other local animal control agencies:

​​​Agency ​Fax
​San Jose Animal Care & Services (408) 229-2122​
​Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority (408) 988-5411​
​Palo Alto Animal Services (650) 856-8591​
​Gilroy Police Department (408) 846-0350
​Morgan Hill Police Department (408) 776-7328​
​Sunnyvale Police Department (408) 730-7705​
​Humane Society Silicon Valley (408) 262-2131​
Follow Us Online!
Visit ACC on Facebook

Contact County Disclaimer