Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

License your's how.

License Your Pet! It could save your pet's life!

Licensing your pet is the best way to ensure they get back to you safely if they are l​ost or hurt. Every person who owns a dog or cat over the age of four months is required by law to license their animal (Ordinance B31-34 & B31-56). Dog and cat owners who fail to comply with licensing requirements are subject to costly penalties! A license tag should be securely fastened to your pet's collar or harness and worn at all times.

Santa Clara County has seven animal control licensing agencies. Each agency provides licensing to particular areas of the County. The County of Santa Clara Animal Care & Control Division provides pet licenses to residents of the UNINCORPORATED areas of Santa Clara County, including those residing on the Stanford Campus.

In order to license your pet, you will need a current rabies vaccine certificate from your veterinarian. If the rabies certificate does not indicate that your pet has been spayed or neutered, you will need a certificate of alteration to receive the reduced fee license.

Residents 65 years of age and over may qualify for a fee exemption; the pet owner must include proof of the owner's age, the pet must be spayed or neutered.

To purchase or renew a pet license online, enter your address in the box below. Then click on the jurisdiction link for more information.​​​​​

​​License Jurisdiction Lookup

Licensing option for Unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County 

Print the Animal License Application Form​ and mail to the following address: 

County of Santa Clara Animal Shelter
12370 Murphy Ave.
San Martin, CA 95046
Phone: (408) 686-3900
Fax: (408) 683-2776

Licensing options for all other cities in Santa Clara County

If you do not live within the unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County, you may license your pet by contacting the relevant agency for the city in which you reside:

Santa Clara, Campbell, Mountain View, Monte Sereno
Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority​
(408) 764-0344

Web License Application - SVACA​​

San Jose, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Milpitas, Saratoga
San Jose Animal Care & Services
(408) 794-7240

License Information - SJAS​​

Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills
Palo Alto Animal Services
(650) 496-5971

License Information - PAAS​

(877) 816-6697

License Information - Gilroy

Morgan Hill
(877) 816-6697

License Information - City of Morgan Hill

Sunnyvale Public Safety Department
(408) 730-7178

License Information - Sunnyvale


Last updated: 12/12/2019 3:35 PM