Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Adult FAQ

How will I get someone to help me with my alcohol and drug use?
Santa Clara County has a central telephone number, Gateway - 1.800.488.9919. Ask a friend to help you or walk into one of our substance use treatment clinics. 
Are the treatment services local or do I have to go out of the county?
All of our treatment services are located throughout Santa Clara County.

Who is going to help me with my alcohol and drug issues?
You will have a professional counselor who is trained in substance use addiction and treatment. The County monitors all doctors and counselors to ensure the best professional care and treatment. 
How do I get services?
Upon calling Gateway they will ask a few questions and staff will direct you to the best treatment services.  Staff are available Monday through Friday 8 to 5. After hours the number has evenings and weekend referral contacts. We also have a website describing our services and locations and other helpful information. We have different languages available and TTY. 

How much will it cost?
Please call 1(800) 488-9919
How long will it take?
As long as you need to address your substance use issues. We want to be supportive of your recovery and overall health. We have detox services, outpatient services, residential and continuing care support.​
When can I start?
You could start treatment services anytime. Treatment is voluntary. We will have a counselor review substance use issues and treatment options at your first session to find the best level of care.
What if I don’t have transportation?
Our programs offer either tokens or vouchers, and some programs have transportation services. We will work with you to get you to treatment.
Will you call my probation officer?
Your treatment services are voluntary. They maybe a requirement of your probation but it is your choice, we cannot force you, but want to address your needs. It is important to work with your probation or parole officer. We will ask you for a release of information to speak with them about treatment progress all in an effort to support you. 
Can I bring my friend with me?
Yes, if they too are seeking services. They may have different needs. Our services are based on individual needs and issues.  Other friends who are not in the program itself, will not be attending individual counseling or residential treatment services. Many of our programs have family components and want others involved in treatment and, with your permission, we want to talk and involve them in your recovery.
Will my significant one find out?
Our sessions are confidential. We will ask to contact your friends and family, with a signed consent, to help you with treatment and recovery goals. 
Will this take care of my legal requirements?
Treatment services are different than your legal situation. You may be expected to be in treatment as a part of criminal justice. You may have other legal responsibilities that need to be fulfilled. We will support you in recovery and promote health care needs which may help with your criminal justice involvement.
I have a history of depression and anxiety could that also because of my use?
Yes. Mental health and substance use are connected in many ways, both are chronic relapsing issues. We can help you with addressing your needs and connect to other professionals who can help with mental health and with physical health care needs.​
Will I need to see a doctor?
During the initial session your health will be reviewed by a doctor. We would we also want to work with your doctor or connect you to a new doctor to continue to support your physical health needs throughout treatment.
How do I file a complaint?
If you are unhappy with any issue related to the behavioral health services you are receiving, you can use the Behavioral Health Services Department’s problem resolution process to try and resolve your concerns.

To start the process, you can either:
Complete the Grievance & Appeal form and give it to your provider,  drop it off, or mail it to:
976 Lenzen Ave, 3rd Floor
San Jose, CA 95126 
Attention: Clinical Standards Coordinator

You may call the Beneficiary Line at 1(408)792-5666 for assistance in filing your complaint or to speak with an on-call staff 
from your managed c​are plan.​​
Last updated: 1/17/2019 4:59 PM