The following two options are available to County board and commission members to comply with the mandated ethics training for local government officials. Each option provides a proof of participation certificate at the end of the training.
Once you receive proof of participation in the required ethics training, please provide a copy of the certificate to the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors. The copies will be retained as public records for at least five years.
- The Office of the County Counsel provides ethics training sessions bi-annually. The training is free for County officials and Boards and Commissions appointees. The next training sessions will be held in the later half of 2016.
FPPC Online Training
- The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) offers free online training at http://localethics.fppc.ca.gov/login.aspx. This option requires you to log onto the FPPC's Web site, review various screens of materials, take periodic tests to assure retention of the information and then print out a certificate. (This course has been approved by the Attorney General's Office and the Fair Political Practices Commission. However, if the training time on your certificate is less than two hours, you will need additional training and certificates to meet the minimum ethics training requirements.)
- Requires Internet access, a Web browser, and preferably 1024 x 768 resolution on your monitor.
- Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to print out the certificate of completion.
- The first page of the online training provides a link to additional educational resources to learn more about ethics as a public official beyond that provided in the online training course.
The State legislation requiring ethics training creates a minimum for ethics education—not a maximum. We encourage you to take advantage of additional training in ethics-related topics and document those efforts as well.
For More Information Please Contact:
Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
70 West Hedding Street
10th Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA 95110
Phone: (408) 299-5001
Fax: (408) 938-4525