Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the Office of the County Counsel affect me?
The County Counsel’s Office provides the County with an efficient, cost-effective method of obtaining legal services for the protection of its programs, departments, agencies, and financial resources. County residents benefit from the reduced expense in litigation and legal advice, as well as from the attorneys’ in-depth knowledge of County affairs.
Can I schedule a mental health appointment with the County Counsel's Office?
Although the name, "Counsel", sounds similar to mental health "counseling", this office is not in the business of providing psychiatric aid. To obtain a referral for counseling, please contact Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services.​​
Can the County Counsel's Office get me a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate?
No. Records of births, deaths, or marriages are maintained by the County Clerk-Recorder's Office. Copies of these documents can be obtained by contacting this office directly.
Can the County Counsel's Office help me obtain a domestic violence restraining order?
The County Counsel’s Office only represents County agencies and the Board of Supervisors, and does not provide legal services to members of the public. Listed below are some links to legal agencies that may be able to assist in a domestic violence situation:

To report suspected Child Abuse, call the Child Abuse Hotline at 408-299-2071.
In addition, you can also call 2-1-1 or go to for a referral to health and human services.

Does the County Counsel's Office have a form available for filing a claim against the County?
The Office of the Clerk of the Board has information on the filing of claims. You can contact them at 408-299-5001.
Does the County Counsel provide legal service to the public?
No. The County Counsel cannot provide legal services to the public. This office was established to provide specialized legal counsel to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County employees in all legal matters affecting the departments and agencies that constitute County government. If you are in need of legal advice, the Santa Clara County Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service available to help in locating a qualified attorney.
Last updated: 7/29/2019 9:09 AM