Chief Assistant County Counsel
Greta Hansen is the Chief Assistant County Counsel for the County of Santa Clara. Her practice focuses on the development of litigation, legislation, policies, and initiatives designed to advance the well-being of residents of the County and beyond. Greta oversees the County of Santa Clara's Social Justice and Impact Litigation Team, including its litigation challenging the Trump Administration's executive order denying federal funds to sanctuary jurisdictions, through which the County successfully blocked implementation of the executive order nationwide, as well as litigation challenging the rescission of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Program and the net neutrality rules. She is also one of the lead attorneys in litigation against former manufacturers of lead paint, which resulted in a $1.15 billion judgment dedicated to lead abatement in low income communities across California, as well as litigation challenging the unlawful practices of opioid manufacturers that fueled the current opioid crisis. Greta has also served as lead counsel in litigation against the State of California that preserved tens of millions in funding for mental health services for emotionally disturbed children statewide.
Greta also oversees representation of an array of County departments and agencies, including the County offices focused on immigrants' rights, homeless services, LGBTQ residents, women's rights, cultural competency, and other critical services. She has played a critical role in the development of key policy initiatives focused on better serving high-need populations, including the County's Pay for Success initiatives addressing homelessness and mental illness, as well as local policies related to predatory lending, human trafficking, and immigrants' rights. Greta has also served as counsel to the County’s Behavioral Health Services Department; Office of Supportive Housing; Office of Data Oversight Management and Evaluation; Human Trafficking Commission; and Juvenile Justice Commission.
Greta was awarded the New Leaders Council of Silicon Valley Trailblazer of the Year Award, was named by California Lawyer Magazine as an Attorney of the Year in 2018, and was one of Public Justice's Trial Lawyers of the Year for 2014.
Greta’s professional expertise includes:
- Federal appellate litigation
- Consumer protection litigation
- Policy reform
- Performance-based contracting
- Data and information sharing
- Health care law
- Education law
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2006
- Brown University, B.A., 2002
- Board of Directors, Silicon Valley Community Foundation (2018-present)
- Board of Directors of the American Constitution Society’s Bay Area Lawyers Chapter (2012-present)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2006-2007)
- Equal Justice Works Fellow at the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California (2007-2009)