Mobile Food Facilities (MFFs) renewing the annual Permit to Operate, will require the following annually, prior to scheduling the inspection.
- Completed and signed Commissary Agreement (NOTE: Produce vehicles are exempt)
- DMV Registration
- Lease/rental agreement will be required if MFF Operation is not registered to current business owner
- Push carts may be exempt
- Menu (include ingredients). Please note: Produce vehicles, ice cream carts, and hot dog carts are exempt.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- MFF Route Sheet
- Permit fees (NOTE: Payment of annual permit fee DOES NOT mean the MFF is approved to operate once the permit expires. The permit to operate is not valid without payment of fees AND completed inspection. Payment for the annual permit fee should be made before the permit expires to prevent a late penalty. MFFs operating without a permit will be closed and assessed a penalty.)
Once you have submitted all of the above to the Department of Environmental Health (DEH), you may then schedule your annual renewal inspection appointment.
For occupied MFFs, we recommend scheduling the inspection MFFs, we recommend scheduling the inspection 8 weeks or more prior to start of operation.
For non-occupied MFFs, we recommend scheduling the inspection about two (2) weeks prior to start of operation.
Please note that permits expire at the end of the month
of every year, the month it expires is punched out on the permit decal
affixed to the back of the vehicle. The permit expiration date is also
indicated on the paper permit that is mailed, once the annual renewal
inspection is passed.
Annual Permit fees are due prior to the permit expiration date, and payment alone does not grant the right to operate. Permit will be issued once payment AND upon passing of the annual inspection.
Annual permit fees:
Mobile Food Facility – No Food Prep
Mobile Food Facility – Limited Food Prep
Mobile Food Facility – Full Food Prep
Please note: Our transaction hours for submittals or payments are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am – 4:45 pm. If you are more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled inspection, you may be asked to reschedule. Please be prepared to wait in the event the inspection prior to your appointment runs longer than expected. Inspections are subject to change.
County of Santa Clara
Department of Environmental Health
1555 Berger Drive
Bldg. 2, Suite #300
San Jose, CA 95112