Mobile Food Facilities (MFFs) obtaining a permit to operate, require the following prior to scheduling an inspection:
- Completed and signed MFF Application Packet (NOTE: Commissary Agreement not required for produce vehicles)
- DMV Registration
- Lease/rental agreement may be required if MFF operation is not registered to current business owner
- Push carts may be exempt
- Menu (include ingredients)
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Occupied Vehicles: A State of California Department of Housing and Community Development Insignia is required. Contact HCD at (916) 255-2501. Click here to access the HCD Insignia Application.
- MFFs that have been permitted in the state of California, but new to the County of Santa Clara will also require a copy of the last inspection report or Permit to Operate issued from an Environmental Health Agency within the state of California. (NOTE: The inspection report and/or permit to operate must include the VIN number.)
Also, if the MFF has never permitted in the state of California, please see MFF Plan Check Process & Plan Submittal Requirements.
Once you have submitted all of the above to Department of Environmental Health (DEH), you may then schedule your initial inspection appointment.
For occupied MFFs, we recommend scheduling the inspection about 8 weeks or more prior to start of operation.
For non-occupied MFFs, we recommend scheduling the inspection about two (2) weeks prior to start of operation.
Please note that permits expire at the end of the month
of every year, the month it expires is punched out on the permit decal
affixed to the back of the vehicle. The permit expiration date is also
indicated on tthe paper permit that is mailed, once the annual renewal
inspection is passed.
Permit fees are due prior to the permit expiration date, and payment
alone does not grant the right to operate. Permit will be issued once
payment AND upon passing of the annual inspection.
Annual permit fees:
Mobile Food Facility – No Food Prep
Mobile Food Facility – Limited Food Prep
Mobile Food Facility – Full Food Prep
Please note: Our transaction hours for submittals or payments are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am – 4:45 pm. If you are more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled inspection, you may be asked to reschedule. Please be prepared to wait in the event the inspection prior to your appointment runs longer than expected. Inspections are subject to change.
County of Santa Clara
Department of Environmental Health
1555 Berger Drive
Bldg. 2, Suite #300
San Jose, CA 95112