Eastridge to BART Regional Connector Light Rail Regional Connector
On November 1996, voters approved of the local Measure A ballot which included building a Light Rail line from North East San Jose through East San Jose to the Alum Rock area with eventual service to Eastridge. As Santa Clara County’s representative on the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), Supervisor Cortese secured the project’s $130 million funding by ensuring its inclusion in Regional Measure 3 (RM3), which was passed by voters in 2018.
VTA Climate Emergency Declaration
The VTA Board of Directors took a historic step this year by approving Supervisor Cortese’s referral for a Climate Emergency Declaration to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase sustainable public transit options in the County. The referral passed unanimously, making the VTA the first transit agency in history to take such action. The declaration included action to identify specific metrics, including objectives and targets, to prioritize opportunities to reduce GHG emissions and develop a Climate Action Plan to guide its climate emergency response to restore the climate for future generations. This marks a bold commitment for VTA to move forward in a more sustainable manner to solve the challenges of climate change while reducing congestion in our County.
Supervisor Cortese spearheaded officially merging the efforts of Association for Bay Area Governments (ABAG) and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) to advance smarter land-use policies for the entire Bay Area. Since this merger, we have been able to tackle the important connection between housing, jobs, transportation and climate protection in a coordinated, regional fashion.
Elevated route for High-Speed rail
Read Supervisor Cortese's letter to the High-Speed Rail Authority here and their reply here.
- Securing funding for BART to San Jose Extension
- Extending VTA Light Rail to Eastridge Mall
- Improvements to expressways, HWY 101, and Tully Road/Capitol Expressway/Yerba Buena interchanges
- Secured funding for Hwy 101 expansion at MTC and worked to get California congressional delegation to support
- Obtaining guard rails, signage, improvements on Mt. Hamilton Road
- PS&J Towing Policy
- Secured more just and equitable bike and pedestrian funding at VTA
- Piloted bike-share kiosk at County Government Center as part of VTA pilot bike share program