Ph.D., Education, Stanford University, January 1991
Major Field – Policy Analysis
M.A., Sociology, Stanford University, June 1989
Major Field – Organizational Theory
M.A., Education, Stanford University, June 1986
B.A., Political Science, San Jose State University, June 1976
Major Field – Local and State Politics
Senior Executives in State and Local Government Program
John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Ethics in Public Service Program
Josephson Institute of Ethics
American Leadership Forum, Silicon Valley Chapter
Faculty Member, Department of Political Science, San Jose State University, 1991-present.
Classes Taught: American Government, State Politics, Local Politics, Internship Seminar,
Interest Groups, Political Campaigns, Regional Government.
Other Professional Experience:
Press Secretary for Congressman Don Edwards, Washington D.C. and San Jose, 1983-1985.
Campaign Manager for Congressman Don Edwards, 1982, 1984, 1986 (Primary and General Elections).
Assistant to Santa Clara County Supervisor Susanne Wilson, 1979-1982.
Assistant to Santa Clara County Supervisor Rod Diridon, 1978-1979.
- Elected Trustee, San Jose/Evergreen Community College, 1993-2000.
- Councilmember, City of San Jose, 2001-2006.
- Supervisor, County of Santa Clara, 2007-present.
State and Regional Appointments and Assignments:
- National Association of Counties (NACo), Delegate
- California State Association of Counties (CSAC), Delegate
- Executive Committee, 2012-2017
- Health and Human Services Committee, 2012-2017
- Urban Counties Caucus, Delegate
- Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), Past Chair
- Board of Directors, Past Chair
- Silicon Valley Rapid Transit Corridor Policy Advisory Board, Past Chair
- Vasona Light Rail Policy Advisory Board
- El Camino Real Policy Advisory Board, Past Chair
- Administration and Finance Committee
- BART Silicon Valley Ad Hoc Governance Negotiation Committee
- California Air Resources Board (CARB), 2009-2012
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), 2008-2013
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), 2006-2011
- Bay Area Joint Policy Committee (JPC), 2007-2011
- Caltrain Peninsula Joint Powers Board, 2001-2017
County Appointments and Assignments:
- First Five Santa Clara County, Past-Chair
- Joint Commission on Childcare, Delegate
- Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO), Delegate
- Santa Clara County Emergency Operational Area Council, Alternate
- County Library District Joint Powers Authority, Alternate
- West Valley Sanitation District (WVSD), 2007-2017
- Safe on 17 Task Force, 2009-2015
- Intimate Partner Violence Task Force, 2016-2017
Grand Boulevard Initiative, Task Force Member
Indian Health Center, Advisory Board Member
Arts Council Silicon Valley, Board Member
Bay Area Municipal Elections Committee, Co-Founder
City of San Jose’s Airport Curfew Monitoring Committee, Past Chair
Comprehensive County Expressway Planning Study Policy Advisory Board, Past Chair
Friends of the Rose Garden Library, Past President
Guadalupe River Park Conservancy, Board Member
Housing Trust of Santa Clara County, Past Chair
Rose Garden Neighborhood Preservation Association, Past President
Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors’ Task Force on AIDS, Past Chair
Santa Clara County Democratic Central Committee, Past Elected Member
Santa Clara County Grand Jury
Santa Clara County, Ryan White Care Act Grant Review Committee
Silicon Valley Marathon, Board Member
United Way of Santa Clara County Lesbian & Gay Task Force, Member
Yeager, K. (1999). Trailblazers: Profiles of America’s Gay and Lesbian Elected Officials. Binghampton, NY: Harrington Park Press.
Yeager, K. (1990). Child Care and Electoral Politics at the Local Level. Stanford, CA: Stanford University School of Education.
Alvarado, B., Beall, J., & Yeager, K. (2018, February 15). Opinion: Stop deceptive San Jose developers’ Evergreen initiative. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2017, January 10). Collaboration makes Santa Clara County one of healthiest. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2016, November 10). Recalling 1986’s AIDSphobic Prop 64. Bay Area Reporter.
Yeager, K. (2015, December 15). New HIV-AIDS strategy needed for Santa Clara County. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2015, July 2). Marriage equality was a long, hard fight in Santa Clara County. San Jose Mercury News.
Rocha, D. & Yeager, K. (2014, September 14). Domestic Violence is a Men’s Issue. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2013, July 13). Marriage Equality Brings Great Joy. San Jose Mercury News
Yeager, K. (2013, January 29). Public health and gun safety top priorities for county. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2012, January 5) “Funding Push, iDistrict on VTA chief’s agenda. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2011, April 14). Caltrain can maintain service if its partners help. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2011, March 2). Caltrain partner steps up with budget plan. San Francisco Chronicle.
Yeager, K. (2010, June 10). ‘Earmarks’ are how we get federal money to meet needs identified locally. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2010, February 11). Santa Clara County can make progress despite budget shortfalls. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2009, December 20). Climate change shifting how Bay Area land-use decisions are made. Contra Costa Times.
Kniss, Liz & Yeager, K. (2004, May 15). Proposed cuts would gut vital services, Supervisors say. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2006, January 9). Ethics mustn’t take back seat to political convenience. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2005, April 1). America West’s ‘quieter’ plane still too loud, threatening to set dangerous precedent for airport. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2005, March 13). Busy year for S.J. ethics panel, but there’s more work to be done. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2003, July 16). Keep high-rises out of residential S.J. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2002, October). Child-care plan needs private industry’s involvement. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (2002, March). Build housing, but protect neighborhoods. Silicon Valley Business Ink.
Gerlach-Downie, S., Strober, M., & Yeager, K. (1995). Child Care Centers as Workplaces. Feminist Economics, 1(1), 93-119.
Strober, M. & Yeager, K. (1992). Financing Child Care through Local Taxes. Journal of Family Issues. 13(3), 279-296.
Yeager, K (1985). Politicians Can’t Keep AIDS at Arm’s Length. San Jose Mercury News.
Yeager, K. (1984). Tolerance Will Allow Gays to Help ‘Build Our Land’. San Jose Mercury News.
Academic and Community Panels:
- Santa Clara County’s Comprehensive Nutrition Standards
- Healthy Beverage Summit (October 21, 2013)
- Preventing Obesity through Local Action
- Stanford Food Summit 3 (October 24, 2012)
- Preventing Obesity through Local Action
- San Jose State University Food Day (October 23, 2012)
- Unhappy Meals: Addressing the Nutritional Quality of Restaurant Children’s Meals
- American Public Health Association (November 2, 2011)
- Selling Poor Health: The Implications of Marketing to Children
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Summit (September 8, 2011)
Awards and Honors:
Metro Silicon Valley
25 People Who Changed Silicon Valley, 2010
100 Black Men of Silicon Valley
Public Official of the Year, 2007
Santa Clara Department of Public Health
Healthy Cities Champion Award, 2016
Bay Area Municipal Elections Committee
Lifetime Achievement Award, 2004
California Center for Public Health Advocacy
Community Health Champion, 2012
Kids in Common
Bold Steps for Children Award, 2016
Clean Air Leadership Award, 2011
Community Health Partnership
Community Health Champion, 2014
The California Legislative LGBTQ Caucus
LGBT Leadership Award, 2015
Momentive for Mental Health
Shining Stars Award of Excellence, 2017
Silicon Valley Council of Nonprofits
Everybody Wins Award, 2011
Network for a Healthy California
California Advocate for Nutrition Award, 2008
Generations Community Wellness
Visionary Award, 2010
Inspire Family Learning Centers
Champion of Health Award, 2011
Korean American Community Services
Friend of the Korean American Community Award, 2010
National Alliance on Mental Illness Santa Clara County
Community Merit Award, 2007
Indian Health Center of Santa Clara Valley
Award of Appreciation, 2007, 2016
Santa Clara County Black Infant Health Program
Shirley Shelton Award, 2008
Kiwanis Turnaround Scholarship Benefit
Honorary Chairman, 2010
- Marathon running
- Obstacle Course Racing
- San Jose Symphony