The Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office offers a voluntary paralegal internship program to students who have completed the majority of the course work of the paralegal program for which they are enrolled. The paralegal internship program is offered year round. Each paralegal internship program is 120 hours in duration. To participate in the paralegal internship program, the student must be available a minimum of twelve (12) hours per week.
The Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office is responsible for prosecuting all criminal offenses that occur in Santa Clara County. Student interns who qualify for the paralegal internship program are assigned to work with an experienced paralegal and experienced criminal law prosecutors. The paralegal internship program includes training both in the office and a working knowledge of the courtroom.
If a student is interested in the paralegal internship program, the student needs to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating the student is applying for a paralegal internship program and other relevant information regarding reasons for the request and availability;
- Copy of your resume;
- Writing sample;
- Something to show the student is enrolled in a paralegal program and in good standing
(a note from the registrar will suffice); or
- Something to show the student has graduated from a paralegal program
(a photocopy of the certificate will suffice);
- Complete the Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) (does not need to be witnessed); and
- Complete the Livescan form.
Anyone interested in the paralegal internship program with the District Attorney's Office should submit the above documentation to:
SANTA CLARA COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE
Vincent Reyna, Supervising Paralegal
Paralegal Internship Program
County Government Center –West Wing
70 West Hedding Street
San Jose, CA 95110
We are required to do background checks on all interns/students. Background checks may take as long as three-to-four weeks to complete. Since students cannot commence the internship program until we receive the results, we suggest applying as early as possible.