Navigate Up
Menu + Child Support Services
Home > Court Processes

Change My Court Order

Either parent may request a review to modify the court ordered child support amount. A change in circumstances, such as a change income or visitation, may warrant a modification.


  1. You may request a modification through Santa Clara County Department of Child Support Services by contacting our office directly at (866) 901-3212 and telling the call center or your caseworker that you would like to request a modification. Modification of the child support amount may be approved if the amount would change by 20% or $50. If approved, Child Support Services will initiate modification proceedings which could result in an increase or decrease in the child support amount. Please note that once you have returned the application for review the process will not be terminated regardless of whether your order will be increased or decreased.
  2. You may file your own modification pursuant to California Family Code Section 3651.  Forms may be obtained from the Clerk of the Superior Court.  If you need assistance in filing your own modification, please contact the Family Law Facilitator.  

Before you begin, please review the following information. If any of these circumstances apply to you, a request for review and adjustment is not appropriate. Please contact a child support representative at (866) 901-3212 to determine a solution for your situation.

  1. All my children have emancipated, or the youngest will emancipate within 6 months.
  2. The past due child support balance is not correct.
  3. The amount my employer is deducting is not correct.
  4. I disagree with the amount of support the court recently ordered.
  5. I have additional child(ren) from the same relationship that must be added to this court order.
  6. My court order was established or modified within the last 6 months and there has not been a change in circumstances.
  7. My case is arrears only.