Navigate Up
Menu +

Frequently Asked Questions

Published on: 6/19/2014 3:17 PM
faqGroupLookupString: Department of Correction Frequently Asked Questions
Department of Correction Frequently Asked Questions
How many people are kept in the jail facilities?
Click here for population statistics, which are updated daily.
How can I find out if I have been cleared to visit at Elmwood?
​Contact the Elmwood Visiting Office at (408) 957-5900.
Is Santa Clara County Department of Correction responsible for matters dealing with out of custody parolees?
No, the DOC does not supervise parolees.  That responsibility falls with the State of California Department of Corrections.
Where can I file a complaint?
DOC Internal Affairs is responsible for investigating complaints.  The unit can be reached directly at (408) 808-4930.
Can I visit an inmate if I'm on probation or parole?
​Please refer to our Visiting Page for that information.
How can I find out a person's next court date?
Court information is available from our Administrative Booking section at 408-299-2306, or from the Santa Clara County Superior Court clerk's office.
Can I visit an inmate?
​Inmate visits occur regularly.  For detailed information, please refer to our Visiting Page
What is the jail's mailing address?
​Please refer to our visiting page for the mailing addresses of individual facilities.
Can I be notified if a particular inmate is released from custody?
Victims of domestic violence can be notified via an automated system, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  The automated system can be reached at 1-800-464-3568.
How do I get booking information about an inmate?
Contact the Administrative Booking section at (408) 299-2306.  This number is very busy, so patience is required.  To avoid long waits, you can call a toll number.  The local toll number is 976-5245.  From outside the 408 calling area, the toll number is 1-900-226-9920.
How do I send money to an inmate?
​All money for an inmate must be sent through the U.S. Postal Service to the mailing address of the facility where the inmate is housed.  Visiting officers will accept NO cash or checks.  Money sent to an inmate must be in the form of a money order or cashier's check made payable to "Santa Clara County Department of Correction.''  The maximum amount is $300.  Always include the inmate's name, booking number and Personal File Number (PFN) on each check or money order.
Can I send books or magazines to an inmate?
​Paperback books and magazines will be allowed by mail, but only if they come directly from the publisher.  No hardbound books are allowed into facilities.  Books can be delivered to inmates through Catholic Charities Inmate Support Services Program, an inmate services organization. Catholic Charities Inmate Support Services Program can be contacted at (408) 325-5147.