Navigate Up
Menu +

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Published on: 7/17/2015 2:56 PM
​For proof of payment, a receipt will be provided to you when the payment is made in person at DOR. If you mail in the payment and would like to have a receipt, please submit a request for the receipt along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. ​
Although the judge ordered the defendant to pay you restitution, you will only receive your money if the defendant has the ability to pay. The defendant's ability to pay is dependent upon whether he/she is working, or has other sources of income.
DOR bills the defendant each month. If the defendant fails to pay on a regular basis, the collector assigned to the account will contact the defendant to determine why payment has not been received. If the defendant is working, but refuses to pay, our office will obtain a court order to garnish his/her wages.
If the defendant is not working and has no assets, the account will be referred back to the probation officer or the court for issuance of a court order to have the defendant appear before the judge and explain why payment has not been made.
When the defendant is ordered to pay restitution, state law mandates that a judgment be entered against the defendant. If the court or DOR is not successful in securing payment, you have the right to pursue the defendant in a civil law suit. You can also file a lien against the defendant by obtaining a copy of the judgment from the court and filing an abstract with the Clerk-Recorder's Office. In addition, you may qualify for reimbursement from the California State Victim Restitution Fund. For more information, please contact their website at
The notice you received from the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) should provide a telephone number to contact DOR. Those numbers are (408) 282-3280 for accounts at the FTB Tax Intercept Program (tax refunds) and (408) 282-3290 for accounts at the FTB Court Ordered Debt Program (bank account or wage attachment).

The account representative has two business days to return calls. If you have not received a call back and have been unsuccessful in reaching your account representative, call (408) 282-3200 and ask to speak with your account representative’s supervisor.

See "Contact DOR" menu (above) for account representative contact numbers.

DOR sends out billing statements twice a month. Over 25,000 bills are mailed at each monthly cycle. Unfortunately, DOR staff cannot respond immediately to all callers during these peak billing periods. When the telephones get busy, calls are routed to the department's voice mail system. The department's goal is that all calls be returned within two business days. 

See "Contact DOR" menu (above) for account representative contact numbers.

DOR has an agreement with the State of California Franchise Tax Board to recover any past due amounts owed to Santa Clara County. If you received a notice from the state that it has intercepted your state tax refund or attached your bank account, that would mean that DOR has submitted your name to the state because you have not paid a debt that was owed to DOR.
There could be a number of reasons why this occurs. Often times, a defendant will only hear in court that he/she owes a fine. State law requires that for every fine imposed for criminal, vehicle or local ordinance offenses, that a penalty assessment of up to 310% be added. For example, this means that if you are fined $100, a penalty assessment of $310 is added for a total amount owed of $410. In addition, the court may order program fees if you are placed on probation. There may also be fees imposed for programs such as Weekend Work, Public Defender, State Restitution, Victim Restitution, drug program fees, diversion program fees and an accounts receivable fee. If you are unclear about your debt, contact your account representative for a more detailed explanation of all the charges.
​It is the responsibility of the debtor to pay regardless of receipt of a statement or a notice. Send your payment in a regular envelope with the account or the case number to:
Department of Revenue
P O Box 1897
San Jose CA 95109​

No, Parking tickets are paid to various private businesses that provide parking processing services for each issuing agency. Generally, the ticketing agency will provide a payment envelope with the contact information on the ticket. If you lost the ticket, the parking vendor is required by law to provide a notice to you with payment and contact information, as well as the procedure to appeal the ticket. If you do not have any of this information, you need to contact the agency that issued the ticket. If you received a ticket from any of the following County of Santa Clara agencies: Facilities and Fleet Department (FAF), Social Services Agency (SSA), Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System (VMC), Parks and Recreation Department (PRK), Office of the Sheriff (SHO) or Stanford University (STN), California Highway Patrol (CHP), the telephone number to call is 1-800-281-7275.

For more info, click on PARKING icon below


Click here for more information.
​Click here​ for more information​
​Click here for more information​
A packet is the grouping of DOR Justice accounts owed by the same person.
DOR Justice Packets include criminal cases identified as formal or summary probation cases, realignment cases with or without mandatory supervision, and charges incurred by minor(s) where the parent(s) was/were deemed to be responsible. Traffic cases are NOT included in a Justice packet.
This is done in order to group together all DOR Justice accounts owed by the same person so that any payment made will be applied first to Victim Restitution.
You will have a packet if you owe more than one account of a criminal nature.  You can contact your DOR representative to find out more details.  Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DOR and Justice Accounts page.
You owe Victim Restitution if you have been ordered by the Court to pay an amount to a person/business/government entity for losses that you caused related to your involvement in a crime, and you have not paid those losses in full.  Please contact your DOR representative for additional details. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DOR and Justice Accounts page.
State law requires that debt owed for Victim Restitution must be paid first, before paying other debt.  You have other DOR account(s) that have Victim Restitution that has not been paid in full.
The DOR account that you intended to pay will indicate that the payment was applied to another account.  For additional details, contact your DOR representative. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DOR and Justice Accounts page.
If you have a criminal civil assessment case that you want to pay off so that you can reinstate your driver’s license, but you owe other Justice accounts, then you will need to pay your Victim Restitution first.  If you have no Victim Restitution owing, then your payment will be applied to that account, and the Court will be notified to contact DMV for the release which may take 3-5 business days.
You can contact your DOR representative for details related to your accounts.  Your representative will give you the amount you owe on a specific account, or the total amount owed, if you have a packet (all accounts owed by you).
DOR provided notification in several ways:  via your monthly statement, via the 24/7 online/IVR payment system, and via the department’s lobby signs.  The first notifications by monthly statement were mailed to all DOR clients between 10-8-14 and 11-17-14, and will continue on all statements thereafter.
Please contact your Probation Officer or your DOR account representative for this information.
You will not be referred back to the Court for civil assessment if you continue to make your court ordered payments on time.  Please contact your DOR account representative for further information. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DOR and Justice Accounts page.
​Yes, but bill pay must be set up through your bank. Verify your payment due date with DOR and have your bank send the payment 10 days before the due date. The payment must include your DOR account number.​
  • Must be registered with your name and address and activated before use.
  • Billing address reported to DOR and card registered address must match.
  • If you use the card before registering/activating it, the funds may be on hold (by the bank that issued your card) for 7-15 days before they can be accessed again.​
​Checks, money orders or cashier’s checks should be made payable to Department of Revenue or DOR. Payment should also include the DOR account number and account holder’s name. If you have more than one DOR account, the amounts being paid to each account should be noted. Checks may take up to 15 days to clear.
​Online/Phone payments will post by the next business day. However, your payments may take 7-10 days to clear. Please follow up with your bank for payment clearance.​
​Yes, as long as you have the following account holder’s information: Name and account or case number.​

DOR accepts Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, and Diner's credit cards. Debit cards with the Star, NYCE or Pulse logo are also accepted.  

IMPORTANT: Accounts paid in full by debit card or eCheck will incur a 15 day hold period before notification of your account being paid in full is provided to the Court which in turn will authorize DMV to release a driver’s license hold. It is the cardholder’s responsibility to know whether they are paying using a credit card or debit card. 
DOR offers a variety of payment methods and alternatives to make a payment on your account. Please click on the link below for more detailed information or to make a payment.
Click here to Make a Payment Online
The monthly bills were probably being printed and your payment had not posted yet. You can obtain the information relative to your last payment amount and date posted through DOR's interactive voice response (IVR) system. Please click on “Pay By Phone” for more information about our IVR and the information available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also contact your account representative and ask to check your payment status.

Wage garnishments are issued by DOR, as well as by the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) Court Ordered Debt Program (COD) for accounts DOR has sent for collection enforcement.

Wage garnishments issued by DOR are collected by the sheriff of the respective county in which the garnishment is filed. Wage garnishments issued by COD are collected by COD. Your employer has 7 days to forward the garnished money to the respective sheriff or COD. Once the sheriff or COD receives the garnishment, it will hold your payment for at least 30 days before forwarding the payment to DOR. DOR posts these payments within 48 hours of receipt. Typically, wage garnishment payments take 6-8 weeks to appear on the debtor’s account. Neither the sheriff nor COD has the ability to provide payment notification to DOR any sooner.
​A Traffic Unit Representative can be reached directly at (408) 282-3260.​
​Personal checks, eChecks and debit card payments are held 15 calendar days before reporting to court that the account is paid in full. Credit card, cash, money order and cashier’s check payments have no holding periods. DMV hold release process takes up to 5 business days. On the sixth day, you may contact DMV to re-instate your license.​
​Once the account is paid in full and payment has cleared, it takes 3-5 business days for DMV to release the hold. Cash, money orders, cashier’s checks, and credit cards will be cleared the following business day. Debit card, personal check, and e-check payments take 15 days to clear. The DMV may also charge a reinstatement fee for a suspended license.​
Yes, if you have been advised by the Traffic Court Division of the Superior Court in the County of Santa Clara, you will need to contact the Traffic Court that has jurisdiction over the city where you received the ticket.
Location  Phone
​North County Courthouse ​(650) 462-3800
South County Courthouse​ ​(408) 695-5000
San Jose Hall of Justice​ ​(408) 808-6600
​Traffic Court Santa Clara ​(408) 556-3000
If you have failed to respond to the court’s notices for payment or have been advised your case has been transferred to DOR, you may contact DOR for account verification and payment information at the phone number below:
DOR Traffic Unit  (408) 282-3260