Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

faqGroupLookupString: General Revenue
General Revenue
How do I get copies of documents to prove my account is paid in full?
​For proof of payment, a receipt will be provided to you when the payment is made in person at DTAC. If you mail in the payment and would like to have a receipt, please submit a request for the receipt along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. ​
I am a victim of a crime. The judge ordered the defendant to pay restitution to me but I haven't received any money. Why?
Although the judge ordered the defendant to pay you restitution, you will only receive your money if the defendant has the ability to pay. The defendant's ability to pay is dependent upon whether he/she is working, or has other sources of income.
DTAC bills the defendant each month. If the defendant fails to pay on a regular basis, the collector assigned to the account will contact the defendant to determine why payment has not been received. If the defendant is working, but refuses to pay, our office will obtain a court order to garnish his/her wages.
If the defendant is not working and has no assets, the account will be referred back to the probation officer or the court for issuance of a court order to have the defendant appear before the judge and explain why payment has not been made.
When the defendant is ordered to pay restitution, state law mandates that a judgment be entered against the defendant. If the court or DTAC is not successful in securing payment, you have the right to pursue the defendant in a civil law suit. You can also file a lien against the defendant by obtaining a copy of the judgment from the court and filing an abstract with the Clerk-Recorder's Office. In addition, you may qualify for reimbursement from the California State Victim Restitution Fund. For more information, please contact their website at
If I think that DTAC has made an error by intercepting my tax refund or with a bank account attachment, how can I get the problem resolved?
The notice you received from the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) should provide a telephone number to contact DTAC. Those numbers are (408) 282-3280 for accounts at the FTB Tax Intercept Program (tax refunds) and (408) 282-3290 for accounts at the FTB Court Ordered Debt Program (bank account or wage attachment).
What should I do if my DTAC account representative does not return my call?

The account representative has two business days to return calls. If you have not received a call back and have been unsuccessful in reaching your account representative, call (408) 282-3200 and ask to speak with your account representative’s supervisor.

See "Contact DTAC" menu (above) for account representative contact numbers.

Sometimes when I call DTAC, I cannot get through to my account representative. Why?

DTAC sends out billing statements twice a month. Over 25,000 bills are mailed at each monthly cycle. Unfortunately, DTAC staff cannot respond immediately to all callers during these peak billing periods. When the telephones get busy, calls are routed to the department's voice mail system. The department's goal is that all calls be returned within two business days. 

See "Contact Us" menu (above) to call, email or visit us.

I received a notice from the Franchise Tax Board that my tax refund was intercepted or that my bank account was attached. Why did this happen?
DTAC has an agreement with the State of California Franchise Tax Board to recover any past due amounts owed to Santa Clara County. If you received a notice from the state that it has intercepted your state tax refund or attached your bank account, that would mean that DTAC has submitted your name to the state because you have not paid a debt that was owed to DTAC.
The amount that DTAC states that I owe for my court fine is higher than what I was told in court. Why?
There could be a number of reasons why this occurs. Often times, a defendant will only hear in court that he/she owes a fine. State law requires that for every fine imposed for criminal, vehicle or local ordinance offenses, that a penalty assessment of up to 310% be added. For example, this means that if you are fined $100, a penalty assessment of $310 is added for a total amount owed of $410. In addition, the court may order program fees if you are placed on probation. There may also be fees imposed for programs such as Weekend Work, Public Defender, State Restitution, Victim Restitution, drug program fees, diversion program fees and an accounts receivable fee. If you are unclear about your debt, contact your account representative for a more detailed explanation of all the charges.
What if I don’t receive a statement or a notice?
​It is the responsibility of the debtor to pay regardless of receipt of a statement or a notice. Send your payment in a regular envelope with the account or the case number to:
County of Santa Clara
Department of Tax and Collections 
P O Box 1897
San Jose CA 95109​
I received a parking ticket. Do I pay it at DTAC?


No, Parking tickets are paid to various private businesses that provide parking processing services for each issuing agency. Generally, the ticketing agency will provide a payment envelope with the contact information on the ticket. If you lost the ticket, the parking vendor is required by law to provide a notice to you with payment and contact information, as well as the procedure to appeal the ticket. If you do not have any of this information, you need to contact the agency that issued the ticket. If you received a ticket from any of the following County of Santa Clara agencies: Facilities and Fleet Department (FAF), Social Services Agency (SSA), Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System (VMC), Parks and Recreation Department (PRK), Office of the Sheriff (SHO) or Stanford University (STN), California Highway Patrol (CHP), the telephone number to call is 1-800-281-7275.


For more info, click on PARKING icon below


Record Clearance Info
Click here for more information.​
Weekend Work Info
​Click here​ for more information​
Valley Medical Info
​Click here for more information​
faqGroupLookupString: Justice Accounts
Justice Accounts
What is a packet?
A packet is the grouping of DTAC Justice accounts owed by the same person.
What accounts are included in a packet?
DTAC Justice Packets include criminal cases identified as formal or summary probation cases, realignment cases with or without mandatory supervision, and charges incurred by minor(s) where the parent(s) was/were deemed to be responsible. Traffic cases are NOT included in a Justice packet.
Why are accounts being placed in a packet?
This is done in order to group together all DTAC Justice accounts owed by the same person so that any payment made will be applied first to Victim Restitution.
How do I know if I have a packet?
You will have a packet if you owe more than one account of a criminal nature.  You can contact your DTAC representative to find out more details.  Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DTAC and Justice Accounts page.
How do I know if I owe Victim Restitution?
You owe Victim Restitution if you have been ordered by the Court to pay an amount to a person/business/government entity for losses that you caused related to your involvement in a crime, and you have not paid those losses in full.  Please contact your DTAC representative for additional details. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DTAC and Justice Accounts page.
Why is my payment being applied to another account?
State law requires that debt owed for Victim Restitution must be paid first, before paying other debt.  You have other DTAC account(s) that have Victim Restitution that has not been paid in full.
How do I know if my payment was diverted or redirected?
The DTAC account that you intended to pay will indicate that the payment was applied to another account.  For additional details, contact your DTAC representative. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DTAC and Justice Accounts page.
How do I pay off my account if my driver’s license is on hold or suspended?
If you have a criminal civil assessment case that you want to pay off so that you can reinstate your driver’s license, but you owe other Justice accounts, then you will need to pay your Victim Restitution first.  If you have no Victim Restitution owing, then your payment will be applied to that account, and the Court will be notified to contact DMV for the release which may take 3-5 business days.
How can I find out how much I owe on DTAC accounts?
You can contact your DTAC representative for details related to your accounts.  Your representative will give you the amount you owe on a specific account, or the total amount owed, if you have a packet (all accounts owed by you).
Was I notified that my payments are subject to being diverted to another account in order to pay Victim Restitution?
DTAC provided notification in several ways:  via your monthly statement, via the 24/7 online/IVR payment system, and via the department’s lobby signs.  The first notifications by monthly statement were mailed to all DTAC clients between 10-8-14 and 11-17-14, and will continue on all statements thereafter.
If I am on formal probation, can I be violated if my payment was applied to another account?
Please contact your Probation Officer or your DTAC account representative for this information.
If I am on summary/informal probation, can I be violated for a civil assessment if my payment was applied to another account?
You will not be referred back to the Court for civil assessment if you continue to make your court ordered payments on time.  Please contact your DTAC account representative for further information. Contact information is provided on your statement and on this website under Contact DTAC and Justice Accounts page.
faqGroupLookupString: Revenue Payment and Billing
Revenue Payment and Billing
Does DTAC process automatic bill payments from my bank account?
​Yes, but bill pay must be set up through your bank. Verify your payment due date with DTAC and have your bank send the payment 10 days before the due date. The payment must include your DTAC account number.​
How do I pay with a prepaid card?
  • Must be registered with your name and address and activated before use.
  • Billing address reported to DTAC and card registered address must match.
  • If you use the card before registering/activating it, the funds may be on hold (by the bank that issued your card) for 7-15 days before they can be accessed again.​
To whom do I make the check or money order payable and what other information is needed on check or money order to mail it in?
​Checks, money orders or cashier’s checks should be made payable to County of Santa Clara Department of Tax and Collections or SCC DTAC. Payment should also include the DOR account number and account holder’s name. If you have more than one DOR account, the amounts being paid to each account should be noted. Checks may take up to 15 days to clear.
How long does it take for my online/phone payment to go through?
​Online/Phone payments will post by the next business day. However, your payments may take 7-10 days to clear. Please follow up with your bank for payment clearance.​
Can I make payments for other people?
​Yes, as long as you have the following account holder’s information: Name and account or case number.​
Can I make a payment using my credit card or electronic funds transfer (eCheck)?

DTAC accepts Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, and Diner's credit cards. Debit cards with the Star, NYCE or Pulse logo are also accepted.  

If paying by E-Check, please be sure to authorize your bank to allow Electronic Funds Transfer (EFTs) from  County of Santa Clara County or Santa Clara County  with Company ID T946000533; otherwise your e-check payment may be declined by your financial institution.

IMPORTANT: Accounts paid in full by debit card or eCheck will incur a 15 day hold period before notification of your account being paid in full is provided to the Court which in turn will authorize DMV to release a driver’s license hold. It is the cardholder’s responsibility to know whether they are paying using a credit card or debit card. 
DTAC offers a variety of payment methods and alternatives to make a payment on your account. Please click on the link below for more detailed information or to make a payment.
Click here to Make a Payment Online
I just received my billing statement and my latest payment is not reflected in my balance. Why?
The monthly bills were probably being printed and your payment had not posted yet. You can obtain the information relative to your last payment amount and date posted through DTAC's Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. Please click on “Pay By Phone” for more information about our IVR and the information available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also contact your account representative and ask to check your payment status.
My paycheck was garnished, but my account does not show the payment. Where is my money?

Wage garnishments are issued by DTAC, as well as by the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) Court Ordered Debt Program (COD) for accounts DTAC has sent for collection enforcement.

Wage garnishments issued by DTAC are collected by the sheriff of the respective county in which the garnishment is filed. Wage garnishments issued by COD are collected by COD. Your employer has 7 days to forward the garnished money to the respective sheriff or COD. Once the sheriff or COD receives the garnishment, it will hold your payment for at least 30 days before forwarding the payment to DTAC. DTAC posts these payments within 48 hours of receipt. Typically, wage garnishment payments take 6-8 weeks to appear on the debtor’s account. Neither the sheriff nor COD has the ability to provide payment notification to DTAC any sooner.
faqGroupLookupString: Traffic Court Accounts
Traffic Court Accounts
I want to speak to a Traffic Collector. What is the Traffic line phone number?
​A Traffic Unit Representative can be reached directly at (408) 282-3260.​
How long does it take for my payment to clear my DMV Hold?
​Personal checks, eChecks and debit card payments are held 15 calendar days before reporting to court that the account is paid in full. Credit card, cash, money order and cashier’s check payments have no holding periods. DMV hold release process takes up to 5 business days. On the sixth day, you may contact DMV to re-instate your license.​
How do I get my driver’s license hold released from DMV, and how long does it take?
​Once the account is paid in full and payment has cleared, it takes 3-5 business days for DMV to release the hold. Cash, money orders, cashier’s checks, and credit cards will be cleared the following business day. Debit card, personal check, and e-check payments take 15 days to clear. The DMV may also charge a reinstatement fee for a suspended license.​
I received a traffic ticket. Do I pay it at DTAC?
Yes, if you have been advised by the Traffic Court Division of the Superior Court in the County of Santa Clara, you will need to contact the Traffic Court that has jurisdiction over the city where you received the ticket.
Location  Phone
​North County Courthouse ​(650) 462-3800
South County Courthouse​ ​(408) 695-5000
San Jose Hall of Justice​ ​(408) 808-6600
​Traffic Court Santa Clara ​(408) 556-3000
If you have failed to respond to the court’s notices for payment or have been advised your case has been transferred to DOR, you may contact DTAC for account verification and payment information at the phone number below:
DTAC Traffic Collections Unit  (408) 282-3260
Last updated: 8/30/2017 9:49 AM