Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Request a Cancellation of Penalty

The County of Santa Clara is waiving the 10% penalty and $20 cost associated with the second installments of property taxes which were due on April 10, 2020.

You are not required to submit a Penalty Cancellation Form to cancel the 10% penalty and $20 cost on your property taxes’ second installment due April 10, 2020.

For penalty cancellation requests related to other property tax assessment years, please see below for further instructions.

​Penalties may be cancelled if there is an error on your tax bill. On rare occasions, penalties may be cancelled for circumstances beyond your control where there’s no evidence of neglect or lack of care and judgment.

In order to be considered for a property tax penalty cancellation, you must pay your base tax in full.

The following reasons for late payment do not qualify for cancellation of a penalty:

  • I did not receive a tax bill.
  • I forgot.
  • I was out of town or country.
  • I have paid on time in the past for many years and think I should not be penalized this time.
  • My bank did not make the payment until after the deadline.
  • I thought my mortgage company was going to pay.
  • I used a private postal meter machine, such as Pitney Bowes.

Step by Step Instructions for Filling Out the Property Tax Penalty Cancellation Form

To complete your form, follow each step below:

  1. Submit your form online or submit your form by mail:

  2. Open the form and read the information on the second page.

  3. Complete the informational section at the top of the Property Tax Penalty Cancellation Form, include your contact information, mailing address, tax bill information, APN/Assessment Number, etc.

  4. This step is very important! Describe in detail the reason for requesting a cancellation of penalty. Attach documentation that supports the basis of your request to cancel your tax penalty.

    For example, if you have suffered a financial hardship as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and/or Shelter in Place Orders, please provide relevant documentation that validates your statements. Some examples of supporting documents are bank statements, notice from your employer impacting your job, proof of unemployment filing, etc.

  5. Sign and date the form and submit online or by mail.

In consideration of the current pandemic, the Department of Tax and Collections will endeavor to provide you with a response within a reasonable time frame.​​​​​​​​

Frequently Asked Questions

See questions and answers about Property Taxes due on April 10, 2020.

If you have additional questions or need assistance, please call (408) 808-7900 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Monday–Friday, or email the Department of Tax and Collections at

Last updated: 4/24/2020 2:43 PM