The Health Care Bonus Waiver program gives you the option to receive a taxable increase in gross wages by waiving the County’s medical coverage.
Full-time employees who elect to waive medical coverage receive $74 per pay period in taxable wages. Part-time employees who participate in this program receive a prorated amount for this benefit.
If you elect to participate in this program, you must complete the necessary paperwork and provide written documentation annually showing proof of medical coverage with an insurance program other than that provided by the County (e.g., your spouse’s employer’s plan).
Written documentation may include:
- A letter from the insurance company.
- A letter from your spouse’s or registered domestic partner’s employer.
- An annual benefits statement from another employer or insurance company.
All documentation must show current coverage for the plan year. Your health plan card is not sufficient proof of coverage.Making Your Health Care Bonus Waiver Election
- You have the opportunity elect the Health Care Bonus Waiver program during each year’s Open Enrollment period. If you are currently participating and want to continue during the 2017-2018 plan year, you must re-elect the program; otherwise, the County will discontinue your Health Care Bonus Waiver and automatically waive your medical coverage.
- As a new hire, you’ll consider the waiver program when you make your medical plan election within 30 days of your hire date. You may elect a County-sponsored medical plan or to waive coverage. If you do not make an election, the County will automatically waive your medical coverage.
- You cannot change your Health Care Bonus Waiver election during the year unless you have a qualifying event, such as the birth of a child, death, marriage, or divorce. If you do have a qualifying event, you may change your election within 30 days of the event. Otherwise, you must wait until the program’s next Open Enrollment period to make a change.