Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Retiree Benefits

The County of Santa Clara provides retirement benefits to its long-term coded employees. These benefits are determined by a combination of factors, including age, length of qualified service, PERS member classification (miscellaneous or safety), and a contribution rate determined by bargaining unit agreements. Additionally, for eligible employees, the County provides access to retiree group health plans.

Open Enrollment

The County's annual Open Enrollment for Retiree medical insurance runs from May 1 to May 31.  The effective date for any changes you make is July 1.
Retiree Guide
The Retiree Benefits Guide provides the information you need to make your benefit elections during this year's Open Enrollment period.
Current Retiree Medical Rates ​
Future Retirees​
Looking to Retire? Just want to be Prepared? 

Check out the Retiree Benefits Overview to get a high level overview of what to expect.

LED also puts on Financial Wellness and Retirement Planning workshops to prepare you for your future.

If you are within one year or less before retirement, check out our Retirement Checklist to keep you on track towards your retirement.

Still have more questions? Read over our F.A.Q. Section below for commonly asked questions. If your questions are not on there, please send us an email at: ​​


Retirement FAQs:​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

What is the cost for retiree medical coverage?
The County pays an amount equal to the Kaiser rate for the retiree only.  If the retiree belongs to a plan that has a higher premium than the Kaiser rate, the retiree pays the difference. There is a monthly premium payment for dependents regardless of age.​
I have a cost for my Retiree Medical Coverage, how do I pay it?
Retirees must choose one of three methods to pay for out-of-pocket medical premiums.

Option 1:  CalPERS Direct Authorization Program.  
Two month waiting period. A personal check is required for your first two months of retiree medical premiums. This allows for deductions to come out of your Pension through CalPERS. 

Option 2:  ACH Recurring Payment. 
County will deduct a fixed monthly amount directly from the retiree’s Checking or Savings account. The deduction will take place the 15th of every month.

Option 3:  Direct Pay.  
Retirees will be required to pay the 12-months of out-of-pocket medical premium. You can pay by check or cashier's check.
Does the County provide Dental or Vision Coverage to retirees?
No, The County does not provide dental or vision coverage to retirees. You will have the option to continue coverage through COBRA. 

The Retired Public Employees Association also offers dental and vision plans to its members. Contact R.P.E.A. at: 1 (800) 443-7732 for more information.

Liberty Dental also has a plan for County Retirees. Contact Liberty at: 1 (888) 359-1088
What happens when I turn 65 and become eligible for Medicare?
The County and all medical plans require that, if eligible, you enroll in Medicare Part A & B.  You should contact the Employee Benefits Department once you have received your Medicare card so that you can be enrolled in a Medicare plan.  For some medical plans, the retiree may be eligible for partial reimbursement of the Medicare Part B premium deducted from your Social Security benefits.​​​
Should I enroll in the new Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Program?
No, the County provides retirees with prescription drug coverage that is equal to or greater than the drug coverage provided under Medicare Part D.  The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services notifies the County when a retiree and/or covered spouse enrolls in Medicare Part D or is covered on Medicare Part D through another group plan.  The County will send a notice to the retiree advising them to disenroll within 30 days or risk losing their County sponsored medical coverage.​
May I change plans when I'm retired?
Retirees may change their medical plan coverage during open enrollment every May.  All changes will be effective July 1st.​
When can I add a new dependent to my coverage?
You may add a new eligible dependent to your retiree medical within 30 days of a qualifying event or during the annual open enrollment period in May. Examples of a qualifying event are marriage, birth or adoption or a child, loss of other medical coverage.​
What if I move out of the service area of my medical plan?
There are options available to you should you move out of the service area of a particular plan.  If you move out of the service area of your plan, you should contact the Employee Benefits Department within 30 days to determine which option is best for your situation.​
What happens to my Retiree Medical coverage if I move out of State?
You will have to change your Medical Coverage due to moving out of state. Please call or email us if you if you have moved, or plan to move out of state.​
What is Payment In-Lieu of Medical Coverage?
Payment In-Lieu of Medical Coverage is an option available to Retirees who move out of the state of California. In order to qualify, you will need to reside outside of California and provide proof of other coverage. If you have Medicare A & B, your Medicare care is adequate proof of coverage. Please give us a call if you plan to switch to this program.​​

How do I contact the ESA Benefits Department?
​Phone: 1 (408) 299-5880
             1 (800) 541-7749

Address: 70 W. Hedding Street, East Wing, 8th floor, San Jose, CA 95110
Last updated: 11/30/2018 11:05 AM