At budget hearings beginning Monday, the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors will review proposed budget recommendations for Fiscal Year 2014, which begins July 1, and by Friday, make final decisions about the funding priorities and levels for County services. The Recommended $4.6 billion budget includes all services, operations, capital improvements and reserves. The County Executive’s Recommended General Fund Budget is $2.4 billion, which covers all discretionary and many mandated services for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2013, and lays out a funding strategy to address a $67 million shortfall.
The County Executive proposed a three-part strategy to address the estimated $67 million shortfall, including $28.7 million in departmental solutions, $20 million from the Measure A 1/8 cent sales tax, and $21.7 million through labor concessions to reduce service costs.
Since the release of the Recommended Budget, updated revenue projections will result in approximately $32.4 million in additional funds ($24 million in property tax growth and $9 million in State allocation of sales tax revenues). However, despite these revenue improvements, Medi-Cal expansion implementation puts a minimum of $33 million in expected State revenue at risk. These changes will be addressed at the hearings.
June 17, 18, 19, and 21
Board Chambers, County Government Center, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors
County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith
BUDGET HEARING SCHEDULE
Board of Supervisors Budget Hearings
Board Chambers, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
Monday, June 17, 2013 – 1:30 p.m.
· Budget Overview
· Health and Hospital – Public Health, Mental Health, Custody Health Services, Drug and Alcohol Services, Community Health Services, Valley Health Plan, Valley Medical Center including Health SB12 and Children’s Health Initiative
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 1:30 p.m.
· Finance and Government Operations: Special Programs and Reserves, Contingencies, Board of Supervisors, Clerk of the Board, County Executive’s Office and LAFCO, Assessor, Information Services Department, Facilities and Fleet, Capital Programs, Procurement, County Counsel, Registrar of Voters, County Communications, County Library, Employee Services Agency, Finance Agency
Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 6:30 p.m.
· Children, Seniors and Families –Department of Child Support Services, In Home Supportive Services, Social Services Agency
Wednesday, June 19, 2013- 1:30 p.m.
· Public Safety and Justice: Office of the District Attorney, Office of the Public Defender, Office of Pretrial Services, Criminal Justice System-wide Costs, Office of the Sheriff, Medical Examiner-Coroner, Department of Correction, Probation Department
· Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation: Planning and Development (including Office of Affordable Housing), Agriculture and Environmental Management, Environmental Health Department, Vector Control District, Parks and Recreation, Roads and Airports Department, County Fire Department, Los Altos Hills Fire District, South Santa Clara County Fire District.
Friday, June 21, 2013- 9:30 a.m.
· Summary and wrap up
County Executive’s FY 2014 Recommended Budget is located at www.sccgov.org under Hot Items
# # #