At budget workshops beginning Tuesday, the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors will review the County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith’s Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year 2014,
which begins in July. The Recommended $4.6 billion budget includes all services, operations, capital improvements and reserves. The County Executive’s Recommended General Fund Budget is $2.4 billion, which covers all discretionary and many mandated services for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2013 and lays out a funding strategy to address a $67 million shortfall
In Fiscal Year 2013, the County experienced a short respite from a decade of annual shortfalls in the $200 million range. In Fiscal Year 2014, the anticipated general fund budget shortfall is smaller ($67 million); however, it comes on top of substantial reductions which already have been made.
“The brief respite from a budget deficit that we experienced last year will be short lived as we face unprecedented levels of uncertainty from every direction - State, federal and legal,” said Smith. “We still do not know the full impacts of pending state budget decisions or federal sequestration, and voter approved Measure A, which would generate desperately needed revenue from the 1/8 cents sales tax is being challenged in court.”
The County Executive is proposing a three-part strategy to address the estimated $67 million shortfall, including $28.7 million in departmental solutions, $20 million from the Measure A 1/8 cent sales tax, and $21.7 million through labor concessions to reduce service costs.
May 7, May 8, and May 9, 2013
Board Chambers, County Government Center, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors
County Executive Jeffrey V. Smith
BUDGET WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Board of Supervisors Budget Workshops
Board Chambers, 70 W. Hedding Street, San Jose
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 – 1:30 p.m.
· Budget Overview
· Children, Seniors and Families – Part 1: Department of Child Support Services, In Home Supportive Services
· Health and Hospital – Part 1: Custody Health Services, Drug and Alcohol Services, Community Health Services, Valley Health Plan, Public Health, Mental Health
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 - 6:30 p.m.
· Children, Seniors and Families – Part 2: Social Services Agency
· Health and Hospital – Part 2: Valley Medical Center
Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 1:30 p.m.
· Finance and Government Operations: Special Programs and Reserves, , Contingencies, Board of Supervisors, Clerk of the Board, County Executive’s Office and LAFCO, Assessor, Procurement, County Counsel, Registrar of Voters, Information Services Department, County Communications, Facilities and Fleet, Capital Programs, County Library, Employee Services Agency, Finance Agency
Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 6:30 p.m. – only if the afternoon session was recessed to finish in an evening session
Thursday, May 9, 2013- 1:30 p.m.
· Public Safety and Justice: Office of the District Attorney, Office of the Public Defender, Office of Pretrial Services, Criminal Justice System-wide Costs, Office of the Sheriff, Medical Examiner-Coroner, Department of Correction, Probation Department
· Housing, Land Use, Environment and Transportation: Planning and Development (including Office of Affordable Housing), Agriculture and Environmental Management, Environmental Health Department, Vector Control District, Parks and Recreation, and Roads and Airports Department, County Fire Department, Los Altos Hills Fire District, South Santa Clara County Fire District.
Budget hearing meetings to make final decisions on the FY 2014 Budget will take place June 17-21, 2013.
County Executive’s FY 2014 Recommended Budget is located at www.sccgov.org under Hot Items
# # #