Santa Clara County, CA—The County of Santa Clara is seeking applicants for the 2021 Advisory Redistricting Commission to guide the County process in redrawing supervisorial district boundaries before the next election cycle. Residents interested in applying for the commission or learning more about opportunities to participate in the redistricting process are invited to attend virtual redistricting informational sessions on Wednesday, May 26, 6:30-7:30 p.m., and Saturday, May 29, 2-3 p.m. RSVP for May 26; RSVP for May 29.
The application deadline to be a member of the 2021 Advisory Redistricting Commission is no later than 9 a.m., June 1. The application can be completed online or you can request a paper application by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be other opportunities to participate throughout the redistricting process.
The County redraws district boundaries every 10 years after a census, considering population changes reflected in the Census count. Redistricting is done to have fair representation and determine which neighborhoods and communities are grouped together into a supervisorial district for purposes of electing a Board of Supervisors member. This will influence how effectively a community is represented in county government.
Advisory Redistricting Commission
The Board of Supervisors established the 15-member commission to hold public hearings and mapping sessions, collect community input, and recommend to the Board updated placement of the supervisorial district boundaries, which must be in place before the end of the year.
Commission applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for commission appointment.
Commissioners must be:
- Santa Clara County Registered Voter
- Available June 2021 through January 2022 to participate in all meetings
- Willing to file a statement of economic interest
- Able to comprehend and apply State and Federal legal requirements
- Available for relevant training for Brown Act, Voting Rights, and Mapping
Commissioners shall not:
- Contribute to, endorse, volunteer, or work for a candidate
- Serve as an elected or appointed officer of, employee of, or paid consultant to a County officer campaign committee, or a Political party or central committee
- Be an elected or appointed County officer
- Be a Candidate for County elected office
- Engage in ex parte communications
Visit the website for a full list of the eligibility criteria.
During the redistricting process, community members will have many opportunities to participate, including:
- Apply to be a member of the 2021 Redistricting Advisory Commission
- Attend and speak at the 2021 Redistricting Advisory Commission’s meetings
- Submit maps electronically with proposed supervisorial district boundaries
- Advocate throughout the process for the district you want or the district map you prefer.
For opportunities to participate in the redistricting process, visit the redistricting website at www.sccgov.org/2021redistricting and follow the schedule of advisory commission meetings and events.
# # #
ABOUT THE COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA
The County of Santa Clara government serves a diverse, multi-cultural population of 1.9 million residents in Santa Clara County, California, making it more populous than 14 states in the U.S. combined. The County provides essential services to its residents, including public health protection, environmental stewardship, medical services through the County of Santa Clara Health System, child and adult protection services, homelessness prevention and solutions, roads, park services, libraries, emergency response to disasters, protection of minority communities and those under threat, access to a fair criminal justice system, and many other public benefits.
Visit the County of Santa Clara at: https://www.sccgov.org
Like us on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/County.of.Santa.Clara/
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sccgov
Media Contact: María Leticia Gómez, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, (408) 299-5119, email@example.com
Posted: May 25, 2021