SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CALIF.— As Valentine’s Day continues to be a favorite day to get married, the County of Santa Clara is expecting 54 couples to take marriage vows in civil ceremonies at the County of Santa Clara Government Center on Feb. 14. Many more couples may take advantage of the new Express Marriage Ceremony Service, which doesn’t require appointments.
“Getting married on Valentine’s Day will be a wonderful memory for many couples in Santa Clara County,” said President Mike Wasserman, County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors. “This is the first year couples can take advantage of the Express Marriage Ceremony Service where they can walk in, purchase a license and be married at the service counter right away, no appointment required.”
The Express Marriage Ceremony Service is ideal for couples who don’t want to wait for an appointment. Walk-in couples may purchase a license to have their ceremony performed at the service window for a fee of $110, plus an additional witness fee of $10.
On a typical day, the Office of the Clerk Recorder performs about 12 marriages. In 2013, the Clerk-Recorder’s Office issued 10,244 marriage licenses and officiated 3,851 marriage ceremonies throughout the year. The County offers civil marriages as a service to the community. Some couples come alone. Others come with the pageantry of a full wedding party.
The number of ceremonies more than triples on Valentine’s Day. On Valentine’s Day in 2012, 44 marriages were performed, and in 2013, 53 marriages were performed on Feb. 14.
“We have 54 couples scheduled for Valentine’s Day marriage ceremonies at the Government Center, but we expect quite a few more to take advantage of the Express Marriage Ceremony Service,” said Gina Alcomendras, Santa Clara County Clerk Recorder.
To schedule civil marriage ceremonies today, call (408) 299-5688.
Marriage License/Ceremony Information
· Couples can apply for marriage licenses at the Clerk-Recorder’s Office - 70 W. Hedding St., 1st floor.
· The County of Santa Clara Clerk-Recorder's Office currently performs civil marriage ceremonies officiated by deputy marriage commissioners appointed by the Clerk-Recorder. On average, 12 civil marriage ceremonies are performed on a daily basis.
· The fee for the ceremony is $80 and must be paid in person before the date of the ceremony.
· Marriage licenses can be issued the same day as the ceremony.
· A standard Marriage License is $80; Confidential Marriage License is $83.
· Ceremonies can be scheduled for weekdays, 10:30 a.m. to 3:40 p.m. On Valentine’s Day, ceremonies will be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
· To schedule an appointment to be trained as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner to perform civil marriage ceremonies, call (408) 299-5688.
Express Marriage Ceremony Service (New serviced added in July 2013)
Walk-in couples who do not want to wait for an appointment, will be accommodated through the new Express Marriage Ceremony Service. They may purchase a license to have their ceremony performed at the service window for a fee of $110, plus an additional witness fee of $10.
The County has one wedding chapel for marriages. Up to 17 ceremonies per day can be performed in the chapel, with additional weddings in alternate locations. The Wedding Chapel holds 22 people and is located on the Lower Level, 70 W. Hedding St., both elevator and stair access is available.
# # #
Posted: February 11, 2014