The Santa Clara County Library District and County of Santa Clara, in partnership with SVCREATES, has announced the opening of the application process for selecting the 2020–2021 Santa Clara County Poet Laureate. The Poet Laureate is an honorary post. The selected poet’s role is to elevate the awareness of Santa Clara County residents around poetry and to help celebrate the literary arts. The application deadline is September 27, 2019, 5:00 p.m.
The honorary post of Santa Clara County Poet Laureate was created by the County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors on November 18, 2008. The County works in partnership with SVCREATES to identify a nominee, who is then appointed by the Board of Supervisors to fill the two-year post.
The Poet Laureate will not be considered an employee of Santa Clara County and will continue to have individual pursuits.
Applications are invited from poets who have resided in Santa Clara County for at least five years and have been published or recognized for poetry and literary contributions.
Eligibility Criteria for the Santa Clara County Poet Laureate
- The Poet Laureate will be available to serve a two-year term
- The individual will be a current Santa Clara County resident who has resided in the County for the past three years and has been published or recognized for poetry and literary contributions
- The individual’s poetic interests respond to, or represent, the diversity of arts and cultures in Santa Clara County
- The individual has demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry and embraces the opportunity to engage in civic discourse
Duties of Santa Clara County Poet Laureate
- Represent Santa Clara County and the art of poetry through outreach related to poetry
- Participate in up to five selected County-sponsored events, dedications, or memorials per year by selecting and presenting appropriate works
- Act as a resource for poetry and literary activities of the Santa Clara County Library District
- Lead and participate in National Poetry Month events and activities
- Undertake projects throughout the Santa Clara County community that will make poetry more available and accessible to people in their everyday lives. Actively participate in social media activity to update the public on Poet Laureate events and projects
- Contribute to the creation of a poetic identity for Santa Clara County. The Poet Laureate will receive a modest honorarium
The selection process will be administered by SVCREATES. Applications will be peer-reviewed by established poets by October 2019. Interviews with finalists will be conducted and completed in November 2019. The recommended Poet Laureate will be announced at a meeting of the Board of Supervisors in January 2020.
All application materials will be submitted through SVCREATES online grant portal: www.svcreates.org/poet-laureate-program/. If you need a special accommodation for application submission outside of the online submission process, please contact Alyssa Erickson at SVCREATES: email@example.com or 408-998- 2787, ext. 204.
The mission of the Poet Laureate is to:
* Elevate poetry in the awareness of Santa Clara County residents and to help celebrate the literary arts;
* Serve as an advocate for poetry, literature, and the arts;
* Lead a community project that makes poetry more accessible; and
* Contribute to Santa Clara County’s poetry and literary legacy.