Women and Girls’ Justice - Advancing gender-responsive, trauma-informed strategies to address the needs of justice-involved women and girls.
- Majority of women in the correction system are women and girls of color; in 2012, Latinas comprised 70% of the County’s female ward population
- Often come from families and communities that are economically challenged and/or have multi-system involvement
- Tend to have significant histories of trauma
- Has the highest risk for continued victimization
- An estimated 40% of detained girls identify as LGBTQ (NCCD)
- Are the fastest growing segment of the criminal justice system