County Parks Charter Fund
In June 2016 the voters were again asked to renew the Park Charter as amended by the Board of Supervisors and did so with overwhelming support. The amendment to the Park Charter will be in effect for 15 years starting July 1, 2017. It increases the transfer amount from $0.01425 to $0.015 per $100 assessed value of property, allocates at least 10% of the funds be set aside and used for acquisition and at least 10% used for park development with the remainder used for operations and maintenance of the County's Regional Park System. For complete wording of the Park Charter Fund (County Charter Article VI. Section 604.11) see below:
- The existing Section 604 of the County Charter shall remain in full force and effect until midnight on June 30, 2017, at which time subsections (2) through (6) of this section 604 below shall take immediate effect without further action.
- Beginning on July I, 2017, the Board of Supervisors shall transfer from the general fund to the County Park fund an amount of money which shall not be less than an amount estimated by the Auditor-Controller to equal the amount that would be raised for that year by a tax of $0.015 per One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) of assessed valuation of all real and personal property situated within the County of Santa Clara. In addition, the Board of Supervisors shall transfer into such fund all fees and revenues generated by the operation of County Parks and all other monies received from the United States Government, State of California, or any other public agency or any person for County park purposes. Any interest earned on the investment of money in the County Park fund shall be credited to the fund.
- The Board of Supervisors shall appropriate this money into the County Park fund for the acquisition, development, or acquisition and development of real property for County park purposes and for the maintenance and operation of County parks. At least 10% of the funds transferred from the general fund shall be set aside and used for park development for County park purposes, and at least 10% of the funds transferred from the general fund shall be set aside and used for the acquisition of real property for County park purposes, and the remaining funds shall be used for County Park operations.
- The county shall not acquire real property for any County park purpose until the Board of Supervisors has determined that the acquisition is in conformity with the adopted County Parks and Recreation Element of the General Plan.
- This section shall be operative commencing with the fiscal year 2017-2018 (beginning on July 1, 2017) and shall be repealed at the end of fiscal year 203I-2032 (ending on June 30, 2032); provided, however, any unobligated monies remaining in the fund on June 30, 2032, shall be used only for the purposes set forth in subsection (3) of this section 604.