Yurt camping is available at Mt. Madonna Park. Mt. Madonna
is dominated by the redwood forest characteristic of the Santa Cruz Mountain range and offers one of the County's few ocean vistas. Popular attractions are extensive hiking and equestrian trails, and the Miller House ruins.
3 Yurt sizes are available with 3 costs to fit any budget.
What is a Yurt?
A yurt is a circular, domed, tent-like shelter with a wooden floor, 10 foot ceiling and canvas sides. It's sturdier than a tent and much more comfortable - offering bunk beds with mattresses, fold out futons, locking doors, and a wrap-around deck!
Your family or group of friends can be indoors for eating, playing games, relaxing or sleeping. An outdoor picnic table, fire ring, outside food locker are at your site; free nearby showers are available. It's a convenient venue for a local vacation or special events like birthdays and anniversaries. It's less expensive than a hotel, much easier than a tent and you still get to enjoy the great outdoors!Here's all you need to bring!
- Flashlight and battery-operated lantern
- Sleeping bags/pillows
- Cooler with food & beverages
- Camp stove and cooking utensils (a BBQ pit is at your site)
- Firewood & matches (red flag days limit fires)
- Lawn Chairs
Layered clothing is recommended, mornings can be cool and sometimes foggy. Bring rain gear January through March and don't forget to pack good walking shoes. Rules and Regulations
- Smoking is prohibited in all county parks.
- Swimming is not allowed in any Santa Clara County Park.
- Each customer may reserve a MAXIMUM of 2 camping sites for/on any date/s.
- For health and safety reasons you may not exceed Yurt capacity.
- Yurt fees includes 2 vehicles at your site.
- Bedding/pillows are not included.
- Top bunks are for adults and children over the age of 6. Only 1 person may occupy a top bunk at any time.
- Sites 125 (16 foot) and 128 (20 foot) are pet friendly Yurts with a maximum of 2 dogs/pets per site. Dogs/Pets must be on a leash no more than 6 feet long and under the owners control at all times and must be confined to the yurt, tents or vehicles at night. **NO PETS ARE ALLOWED AT YURT SITES 130, 132, 134 INSIDE OR OUTSIDE.**
Reserve your yurt today!
- All Yurt Camping Customers must check in at entrance upon arrival. The earliest Check-in on day of arrival is 3:00 pm and latest Check-out time on day of departure is 12:00 pm.
- Parks are open from 8:00 am to sunset. Late arrivals at Mt. Madonna need to arrive before 10:00 pm (the start of quiet hours). Parks are closed to non-campers from sunset to 8:00 am.
- Every Yurt site comes with a picnic table/s and BBQ pit or fire ring. No Fires are permitted on the ground. No wood gathering is permitted. Fires in BBQ pits must be kept beneath the grate. Please allow fires in BBQ pits and rings to burn out (water will damage the grill and pit). Open fires and the use of charcoal briquettes may be restricted or prohibited due to fire danger levels during the summer season. You may wish to have an alternate method of cooking available. Camp stoves and similar devices with a controlled enclosed flame would be allowed. Please read all posted signs upon check in. Some parks may have wood bundles for purchase. Call the park prior to arrival to check if wood is currently available.
- Candles, camp stoves or any device with open flame are not permitted inside the Yurt.
- Cooking is not permitted inside the Yurts.
- Generators are not permitted at Yurt sites or inside the Yurt.
- Safety lighting is in place, but there are no electric outlets.
- Running water is available via a faucet near each Yurt.
- Shower facilities are available at each camping park. These are on timers and are free.
- Radios, playing of instruments and other loud noises are not permitted during quiet hours (10:00 pm to 7:00 am)
- Responsibility of general setup and cleanup of the premises shall be the responsibility of the customer. Buildings and grounds shall be left free of debris and other refuse pertaining to said use. Any clean-up necessary after an event will be charged to the customer at a rate of $80 per staff person, per hour. Clean-up includes placing all chairs and tables back into designated area after event, cleaning kitchen area, including stove and refrigerator, removing all decorations and equipment.
- Yurt customers are responsible for missing or damaged items and any damage to the Yurt itself. Including the key, the decking, and the outside amenities including fire ring, picnic table and food locker. Standard fees for staff hours and all materials needed for repair or replacement will be billed to Permittee.
- A list of rules and check out procedures are posted in each yurt.
- Minors are not eligible to reserve a facility or camp overnight unless accompanied by a responsible adult. Written proof of age may be required. Groups comprised predominantly of participants under the age of 18 must be chaperoned at a ratio of 1 adult to 10 minors.