Navigate Up
Parks and Recreation Menu +

Motorcycle County Park

Published on: 6/1/2015 6:21 PM
Park Info

Plan Your Trip to Motorcycle Park


  • Motorcycle Park
    Motorcycle Park will be closed on January 14, 2016 for an all department staff meeting.

Hours of Operation

The park is open Thursday through Monday and closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The park is open on ALL holidays that do not fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Hours vary seasonally.


Motorcycle; Picnicking; Interpretive Program; Dogs on Leash


Contact Info

Motorcycle Park
300 Metcalf Rd
San Jose, CA 95138

(408) 226-5223 (park office)

Senior Park Ranger:
Mike Maximovich 408.315.8289

Senior Park Maintenance Worker: Drew Merry 408.335.9642

Contact Motorcycle Park directly at 408.226.5223 to register for this Jr. Ranger program.

motocycle trialLike us on Facebook and get the most current trail information possible!

The park is always closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.


After further clarification and research into the California Off-Highway Vehicle regulations and the intent behind the exceptions to the Red Sticker Riding Seasons we have come to the conclusion that it will not be possible for the Department to eliminate or modify the established Red Sticker Riding Season for Metcalf Motorcycle Park (MCP). Call the park office at (408) 226-5223 for more information.

Red Sticker Riding Schedule for Metcalf Motorcycle Park: October 1 - April 30

Welcome to Motorcycle County Park, the County park system's only off-road vehicle park. This 459-acre park is located in the grass covered hills of south east Santa Clara Valley. Motorcycle County Park offers trails for the advanced and beginner motorcyclist and ATV rider. In addition to the 20 miles of dirt trails, there are motocross tracks and a Quarter Midget track, picnic areas and restroom facilities. The equipment operator will be working on the MX track Tuesdays and Fridays with the track reopening at 1pm.

The park is located in the foothills off Metcalf Road in south San Jose east of US Highway 101. The park may be accessed from the Bernal Road exit off Highways 101 and 85. From the Bernal Road exit, proceed west about 0.2 miles to Monterey Highway south. Take Monterey Highway south 1.25 miles to Metcalf Road. Turn left and proceed up Metcalf Road 2.5 miles to the park entrance.


Motorcycle Park's 459 acres contain over twenty miles of OHV trail and tracks. Straddling a thousand foot high ridge, these park trails afford riders vistas ranging from Gilroy to San Francisco. The park facilities include:

  • Motocross competition track
  • Mini-motocross track (150cc four stroke or 100cc two stroke or less)
  • Beginner's oval
  • 12 miles of main trails (beginners/intermediate)
  • 8 miles of single track enduro (expert) trails
  • Hill climb area
  • Trials course
  • Shaded picnic areas, restrooms, visitor center, food/drink vending machines
  • A 1/20th mile paved oval track operated by the Baylands Quarter Midget Racing Association, for quarter midget racing and practice.
  • Cruising Cafe (food vendor on weekends only)

In addition to a restroom building, there are picnic tables located at several locations. No tools will be loaned from the office.

Hours and Fees

The park is open Thursday through Monday and closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The park is open on ALL holidays that do not fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Hours vary seasonally.

The following fee rates are in effect as of May 1, 2007. Fees are subject to change, call the park office at (408) 226-5223 to confirm current fee rates.

(Note: Annual passes may be available. For more information, inquire at the park office or call the park office at the number noted above).

Special Events

None are scheduled.

Junior OHV Rangers Program

Santa Clara County Parks presents the Jr. Ranger OHV Program at Metcalf Motorcycle County Park.

Do you like to ride dirt bikes and are you curious about nature?
Want to learn to be a wildlife detective?
What is riparian and is it important?
Look inside an owl pellet and see the food web.
Take a trip to a ripairing habitat.
Explore the habitats of bobcats, raccoons, frogs, birds & fish.
Become a Junior Ranger.

biker riding on trailIf this sounds interesting to you, you’re between the ages of 9-12 (4-6 grade), and you’ve never been a Santa Clara County Jr. Ranger, then the Santa Clara County Parks Department would like to invite you to be a Jr. Ranger.

Jr. Ranger Programs run for six consecutive weeks, meeting on Saturday starting at 9:00 am, for three hours and will be offered at Metcalf Motorcycle County Park during the spring and fall (Spring 2013 program starts on 4/20/13 through 5/25/13 campout on June 1-2, 2013). During the program, Jr. Rangers will be introduced to six different topics: Duties of a Ranger, Natural Resources, Plant Life, Wildlife, Habitats, and Ohlone Native Americans. Through various hands-on activities, games, hikes and rides Jr. Rangers will learn ways to help preserve and protect their local Parks. Activities include: learning to identify animal prints and pick out signs that tell when an animal has been in the area; learning how to be a responsible rider; and understanding how animals and humans depend upon the natural world for survival.

The program is free! The first day each Jr. Ranger will be given a Jr. Ranger Jersey and logbook which is theirs to keep. A Jr. Ranger badge and certificate will be awarded based on attendance and behavior. Graduating Jr. Rangers will also be invited to an overnight campout.

Registration is limited to the first 8 registrants for the park program (I have 6 signed up). You must be a first-time participant to enroll. Sign up today at Metcalf Motorcycle County Park office!

For registration forms or more information contact Ranger Mike at Metcalf Motorcycle County Park 300 Metcalf Road San Jose, CA 95138,e-mail at or call (408) 226-5223.


The Novice Oval will be closed during ATV training. For more information on ATV training call 1-800-887-2887 or visit their website at Motorcycle training information call 1-887-288-7093 or visit their website at

For Your Safety and Information

  • May 1 thru September 30, no red sticker bikes allowed at Motorcycle Park.
  • Green sticker vehicles are not subject to the restricted riding seasons.
  • 2003 and newer vehicles that are non-complying are issued a red sticker.
  • Park Rangers routinely conduct sound checks at Motorcycle Park. The sounds limits are 96 decibels for competition vehicles made after 1997 and non-competition vehicles made after 1986. The decibel limit for vehicles made before 1975 is 105. Any rider with a vehicle that is above the decibel limits must bring the vehicle into sound level compliance. Non-compliant vehicles will not be allowed to operate. Keep in mind, less sound equals more ground!
  • All OHV's (off-highway vehicles) must have a current off-highway "green sticker" or street legal registration.
  • All OHV's must also have a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrestor.
  • All riders must wear a helmet while starting, sitting on, or operating any OHV. Goggles, boots, knee/elbow guards and chest protectors are highly recommended.
  • Persons under age 18 operating an ATV/ATC must be in possession of a current ATV Training Certificate. Other regulations apply for riders under age 14 and for riders between the ages of 14 and 17. For more information, contact the park office.
  • Alcoholic beverages and smoking are prohibited on park premises.
  • Riders may operate on designated trails and OHV facilities only. All trails and track traffic are one-way.
  • The speed limit in the parking area is five miles per hour.
  • No stopping on trails. If you must stop, move off to one side of the trail and select a stopping point where you are clearly visible to other riders.

Only motorcycles are allowed on the Motocross Track and on the expert trails. No ATVs or ATCs are permitted on the Motocross Track or expert trails (black diamond).

Trail Markings.

All trails are one way. Proper direction of travel and trail difficulty will be indicated on carsonite posts and will appear as follows:

Trail Markings 



Off-highway vehicle use may be hazardous. Use of protective apparel, skill levels, vehicle condition, terrain, weather, common sense and following the park rules, all affect your safety.


In compliance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ('ADA'),the Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Department will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in its programs, services, or activities. The Department will make reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disability have an equal opportunity to enjoy our programs, services, facilities, and activities. If you need assistance with an ADA request, please contact our ADA Coordinator.​​​​

Back to top

Contact County Disclaimer